Lang Chargrill - Uhhhgg!!!! - Can't get 300 degrees

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love my new Lang, but the 40" chargrill is giving me FITS!

I used lump charcoal, piled on the far left end of the grill, so I can do indirect cooking of 2 whole chickens.

The Lang chargrill has upper and lower slide out racks (so I can only pile the charcoal up to the bottom of the lower rack). The pile was about 5" high, 13" wide, and 20" deep (maybe 3 chimneys full). Poured hot coals on top of the pile of lump. I have a feeling I need to use more charcoal and consume more "floor space" in the bottom.

I could not get the temp over 300. Most of the time, it hovered around 250 or so. Also, I added some thin splits of wood to try and get higher temps. The wood caught fire, open flame, I closed the lid and it snuffed it out. I open the door, and after a minute, it would "WOOF" and light again. All dampers are open. Should it be doing that?

I need help with this..... very frustrating. Thanks!!!!!!!

That sounds like enough charcoal to me. I am wondering if you were getting enough airflow. Given that the splits went out when you closed the lid, it sounds like there is not enough air coming in.

Yep, like they said above, the "whoof" when you open the door is like a flashover, the fire is starving for oxygen, when you open the door and introduce a bunch of oxygen, it takes off.

Is there a grate holding the charcoal, or is directly on the bottom of the grill? If it's sitting on the "floor", try putting a grate in there so the coals can get some air underneath them, it helped in my NBBD(not that my NBBD is any comparison to a Lang, but the concept is the same).

Like the others have said, it does sound like a lack of airflow, for some reason.

Matt

Lol! snyper77 its used for storage. Seriously airflow seems to be the problem, also the thick metal will suck alot of the heat, might want to use wood instead of charcoal.

Could you add a BBQ guru or something like that to get more airflow and get the temp up?

I use Kingsford briquettes and pile on the far left and run 450 no problem. Try a big pile of briquettes. If you suspect airflow issues prop your door open with something small (and fireproof).

Load that sucker up with charcoal!

Here's a view of the bottom of the chargrill. Notice where I had the charcoal. Also, notice there are 3 removable plates in the bottom and a total of 27 holes across the bottom to allow for air flow. Any more ideas??

Pic 1 - All cover plates installed ................................................................Pic 2 - far right cover plate removed

Attachments

• chargrill1.jpg
    chargrill1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 188
  • chargrill2.jpg
    chargrill2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 187
To me, it looks like those holes would be pretty easy to cover up and you wouldn't be getting sufficient air flow. If it were mine, the first thing I would try is to remove those plates and throw a piece of expanded in there and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

To me, it looks like those holes would be pretty easy to cover up and you wouldn't be getting sufficient air flow. If it were mine, the first thing I would try is to remove those plates and throw a piece of expanded in there and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Great idea! But I wonder why ALL Lang Chargrills aren't a failure regarding air flow?

I wondered the same thing. I am not familiar with how the Lang Chargrills are set up, I am assuming that you have all the air intake and exhausts wide open.

Is there an air intake on the left side where you had the coals? If not, then put the coals as close to the intake as you can.

I wondered the same thing. I am not familiar with how the Lang Chargrills are set up, I am assuming that you have all the air intake and exhausts wide open.

Is there an air intake on the left side where you had the coals? If not, then put the coals as close to the intake as you can.

I agree. Also, a good test would be to cook like you have it set up and remove the middle and right plate. If you get the temps you want, then you know it is an airflow issue.

Back