remote meat thermometer

chromestacks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I always try to buy local but I am not having any luck finding a good remote meat thermometer. I think I want something with a braided cable to the meat probe. Another nice feature would be an additional probe for the rack temp. So, what am I looking for? does anyone know what brands I should be looking at? price range? where to buy? Thanks again for the help. This group is AWESOME!

I can't help with local but the et-73 is very popular. I got mine on amazon but the thing has the most terrible range. It has to be line of sight even less than 5 feet away!!!(yes I did the MOD to increase the range and nothing!!)

That being said the et-732 is out or about to be released, I would look into that. :thumb:

A lot of people like Polders.

I use a Guru most the time on the Egg or Stump only because I use the temperature ramp feature so I can walk away.

On the stick burner I have to be around to feed the beast, so I don't use anything but my hands, eyes, and my trusty $8 chef's thermo.

While all of the remotes that I've experienced have their issues with range and connectivity, I like these the best. Nu-Temp. They are simple to use, sending units are water proof, they have no feeble on/off switch and the probes, at least the ones I have, have a stainless braid. The new picture does show a plastic cover on the probe though. Check them out.

Here's a link for you.
http://www.nu-temp.com/601.htm

While all of the remotes that I've experienced have their issues with range and connectivity, I like these the best. Nu-Temp. They are simple to use, sending units are water proof, they have no feeble on/off switch and the probes, at least the ones I have, have a stainless braid. The new picture does show a plastic cover on the probe though. Check them out.

Here's a link for you.
http://www.nu-temp.com/601.htm

I relly like the looks and features of this one. Can you give me an ide of cost Smokin' D?

They don't exist . I have no luck with them.

Twice in one week. I've got to agree with jestridge on this one. Save your money. Yes, some people have luck with certain models. But if you look at the reviews here and at the shopping sites you'll soon realize the price versus risk of failure ration doesn't constitute a good investment.

Get yourself a nice non-remote probe thermometer and take the walk out to your smoker once in awhile. Over the long run you'll save lots of money.

In my, not so humble opinion, remote thermometers are a waste of money.

I've had my Maverick ET-73 dual-probe for a year and a half, and probably used it 50 times and have never had a problem. My only complaint is the range.

Waiting for the ET-732 to be released as supposedly the range issue has been addressed as well as some other notable upgrades. It's going to be a little pricey though.

I've been using the Maverick ET-7 now for 3 years or so and have never had a problem with it. It has everything you asked for. The range is so so but it fits the bill for me in that regard.

Before I got the Guru, I used the other probe for grate temp. With the Guru, my smoker can look like a spider web of wires with 3 meat probes and the Guru grate probe going. :becky:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remo...SZ10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290968712&sr=8-1

LoL BBQ Grail maybe the world getting ready to end, I also have agree with a couple of your post.

BBQ Grail nailed it . . . there is no substitute for the occasional stroll out to see what's goin' on. Wired probes work better and are more reliable. And, you can make a temp check without opening the hood, too.

Hub

I am not having any luck finding a good remote meat thermometer.

Me to, so I bought a Thermapen :-D:wink: The wife gave me a bad time on spending the money (for my B-day) and then....... I caught her using it:wink:

Cheers

I check whatever I'm cooking at least once every hour , that just part of it.

I guess I don't know what am am looking for

giving this another attempt here guys. Thanks for the advice so far. I think what I meant about remotes is a unit that can be set into the meat with a unit outside the cooker that reads both grate temp and meat temp. It would most likley be 2 seperate probes. I do not need to walk away from the cooker but would like to be able to read tempature without opening the lid and loosing that preciuos heat.

I picked up a $15 unit at wally world last year that has an on/off switch along with the temp alarm. The best part about this unit is that the probe is dishwasher safe.

One of the resaon I don't use them is because all of my smoker are heavy duty and lose very little heat when you check the temp.

I've used a Nu Temp for 6-8 years. My impression is that they're either having supply chain or biz issues- last I checked you couldn't buy them. If that's changed, I'd be excited. There's something to be said for taking a look in person, but there's also something to be said for putting the receiver by your bed set to wake you up if things go amiss. Sleep is good.

Back