Charcoal smoker help

hardy02ttu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Recently scored a Brinkman Smoke 'N Pit Smoke King. Attempted to break it in with a butt and a fatty, but had some difficulty using. Plan on making some mods, not being able to regulate airflow irritates the hell out of me. To put it simple this is my first charcoal smoker so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also would not mind any feedback from anybody that has used one of these. Right now i like my stick burner alot better, but its way to big to use all the time and i got a deal i couldn't refuse on this.

066.jpg

Are there any intakes or outlets? Could you get a picture of these. I would think that this should run like a UDS.

It has two holes on the bottom for air intake, 3/4" in size, on either side. There is also a gap around the charcoal pan in the bottom. There is one exhaust hole on the left side about 2" from the top. it doesnt leak around the door much. Best temp i could get was 225. My plan is put in a stack with a damper on it and some BGE style sliding vents on the bottom, unless somebody has a better idea. Here is a pic i took of the inside when i got it.

013-1.jpg

I would look at a different charcoal basket first. I don't think you are getting enough air to the charcoal. If the coal pan is below the gap and the inlets, it would be hard to get air down to the bottom of the pan to get a draft going.

I wonder if a uds style expanded metal basket would work. I will give it a try after i make the vents

Looks like some good potential here. Some mods will do the job. Yes, replace the basket. Make for larger intakes that you can regulate and shut right down, and a much bigger exhaust. Then it should really work nice... I think!

I modified one of these for a friend this past week, I got a 17" pizza pan
that had a sloped lip that pressed right into the bottom to seal it air tight and made a charcoal basket using one of the existing cooking grates and 6" x 48" expanded metal. We haven't drilled extra inlet or exhaust holes yet, gonna fire it up sometime next week and see how it runs as is first.

Aluminum foil can be your friend. You need to be able to control the temps. as in intake and exhaust otherwise you'll fight this smoker till the end.

I modified one of these for a friend this past week, I got a 17" pizza pan
that had a sloped lip that pressed right into the bottom to seal it air tight and made a charcoal basket using one of the existing cooking grates and 6" x 48" expanded metal. We haven't drilled extra inlet or exhaust holes yet, gonna fire it up sometime next week and see how it runs as is first.

Thanks N8. I think ive got a disc that we can weld on the bottom. Was going to use it for a wok, but buddys dad gave me a propane tank end cap. Same buddys dad is donating a beat up chargriller that is about to loose a stack... for the vents i was thinking something like a draft door for a bge.

Charcoal Basket

The basket I built was real similar to this one...
attachment.php

Stainless Bolts, Washers and Nuts to connect the ends together and bailing wire to meld it to the grate...
Hope this helps you out....

Thanks N8. I think ive got a disc that we can weld on the bottom. Was going to use it for a wok, but buddys dad gave me a propane tank end cap. Same buddys dad is donating a beat up chargriller that is about to loose a stack... for the vents i was thinking something like a draft door for a bge.

Foil the bottom totally closed, use exhisting holes in side plugging with wad of foil if it gets too hot, poke hole in bottom foil if not hot enough. That with a charcoal basket and minion method will be a great difference. If you like it modify as N8 suggested.

Back