• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

butchering/ slicing trimming knives

Devin

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently bought a Dalstrong slicing knife that I enjoy using for briskets and was wondering what else you guys use. styles and or brands of knives. I'd like to get something else for trimming brisket and have been leaning towards a 6" boning knife but not sure if I should go bigger and get a Cimitar?

I do 95% of my trimming with a Victorinox 8" chef's knife and a Victorinox 6" curved boning knife. Chef's knife for bigger cuts and the boning knife for detailed work - I'm a heavy brisket trimmer. I have a serrated slicing knife that I sometimes use for slicing brisket. I also have a 12" cimeter that rarely gets used...it does look cool though. I might use it more often if I were actually breaking down large primals or playing ninja.

Shun classic boning knife here, it’s sharp as he$$ and works perfectly on all the normal stuff I cook like brisket and pork trims. I’ve considered the miyabi chefs knife but just not sure I want anything bigger for brisket. I use a victorinox for slicing

I tend to prefer cheaper, stamped steel boning knives as they are flexible. They tend to dull quicker than forged steel, but I get my blades professionally sharpened on a somewhat regular basis.

I've also gone to preferring a little shorter knife for boning and trimming fat in recent years, which I find more controllable. 6" works well, although I tend to gravitate toward a 5 1/2 inch blade.

A Cimitar has its uses, but not my first choice for prepping/trimming a raw hunk of protein.

That all sounds about like what I've been reading. When I bought my slicer I was looking for something nicer quality but still affordable and went with the Dalstrong Gladiator and eventually got a Kiritsuke in the Shogun series.....both seem to be great knives at good prices for what they are....Sounds like I should go with the 6" boning knife

I have a boning knife from Dalstrong, it's a nice knife but much more stiff than my Victorinox ones, I like the boning knife to be fairly flexible to get around bones, fat pockets, etc. Personal preference of course...but you're only out about $20 if you don't like a Victorinox or similar.

A 6" boning knife is very handi, I prefer a stiff blade and use the cheap carbon steel Dexters. You can almost get by with that as your only knife. I have a 12" scimitar that I never use, it's designed to cut steaks off the primals, which most of us will never do. Lately I've been using a cheap 10" re-ground chefs knife from a knife service. I can't believe I've ignored that style for 50 years, :oops:
I use that knife for everything except peeling fruit, or spreading peanut butter. :grin:
I don't care for the 8" style, the 10" just seems better balanced for me.

I also have a cimeter, (which does look cool), a graton edge slicer, some standard commercial boning knives but my favorite slicer is a Park Plaza 10 Inch Reverse Scalloped Uber Slicer. For trimming I primarily use fillet knives from Kershaw and Rapalla in 6", 8" and 10" lengths. They are flexible, easy to sharpen and the point can easily get under silverskin. For almost a year I've been testing a Havalon Baracuta-Blaze, which has surgically sharp replaceable blades in a skinning/boning style and a fillet style.

Victorinox 6 inch boning and 8 inch chef knife both perfect for just about everything except spatchcocking turkeys.

Dexter has darn good knives, Victorinox is a step above but not by much. I agree with Slim on sizes. I've got a cimeter but also butcher an occasional steer, get a chef's knife instead.

So just a data point, by no means a recommendation. I have three Henckels I use. A boning knife for trimming my brisket and pork butts. A paring knife for cleaning up chicken. And I use their chef's knife for slicing brisket and ribs. Of course, I use them for other tasks in the kitchen. I sharpen all of them by hand, regularly. However, I have a couple of friends that have a dedicated "Brisket" knife. I don't know what kind they are but they are the long "flat" knives that you will see if you Google. I do know that they are REALLY protective with their brisket knives. As in "don't touch it, that's my brisket knife".

However, I have a couple of friends that have a dedicated "Brisket" knife. I don't know what kind they are but they are the long "flat" knives that you will see if you Google. I do know that they are REALLY protective with their brisket knives. As in "don't touch it, that's my brisket knife".

Ah yes, I also have a granton blade slicer I'm protective of. It's a special moment to slice with it, almost ritualistic.

I have a Victorinox Granton edge that gets the slicing duties for pretty much all my bbq and large roasts. about $55 bucks so not too badly priced. Dexter boning knife & 8" chef knife for trimming

I am a fan of Dexter also, maybe it's because i am not that far from their factory and the in-house factory 2nd's store is great!! I have the 6" boning knife also that i use all the time for trimming. I have one that's flexible and one thats more rigid and find them both handy.

10.5 inch Apogee Dragon slicer and a Dragon fire Boning knife from the same company. I really like the Bd1n Steel i also have most of the set of Nexus knives from cutlery and more with the same steel.

I like the "Old Hickory" knives. I have a set with a 10", a 7" and a 7" cleaver. Amazon sells them all pretty reasonable... Good blade steel and American Made...

Mostly use my 8” cutco for everything. On occasion my 10” wusthof on the bigger stuff

Thanks for all the good input, looks like I'll stick with what I have for now and maybe get a new boning knife for christmas :wink:

Back