• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
What is the best way to set up s new uds to double as a grill also? Will 3-3/4" nipples be enough or should I add a 4th?

What is the best way to set up s new uds to double as a grill also? Will 3-3/4" nipples be enough or should I add a 4th?

i only have 2 3/4 close nipples that gets closed when i start to reach my target temp and then for the third i used a 1 inch ball valve to control the air flow to raise and lower the temp

and a 2 inch exhaust

never had any issues reaching that sweet blue that we all love to see!! LOL I can run the temp any where from 150* to 500* with just the ball valve to controling the temp.

In case you guys are wondering where my name comes from, here's my project

null-1.jpg

Nice ride Bunta:wink:

Hopefully getting my drum sand blasted this week. Shops down here want too much for an entire blast. So im only having the interior done,

Whats the benefit when guys extend the ball valves to the top of the barrel, compared to installing them on the bottom?

Whats the benefit when guys extend the ball valves to the top of the barrel, compared to installing them on the bottom?

Big Belly Mod. Much easier adjustment when the valve is at waist level. Only downside is the flow is a bit more constricted because of the 90° turn. I just went with 1" pipe and valve to compensate.

Big Belly Mod. Much easier adjustment when the valve is at waist level. Only downside is the flow is a bit more constricted because of the 90° turn. I just went with 1" pipe and valve to compensate.

:biggrin1: I call it the bad back mod,,:becky:

Pretty much this. Listen to this man. From my experience, you must increase the diameter of the intake if you use a riser pipe or the air flow will be all farked up

Newbie Thought on Vent Concept

Joined a couple of weeks ago and am diligently reading the thread as I collect parts to construct my own UDS; up to p. 234 right now. I've read many posts relating to various vent configurations as well as how the temp varies from the top to the bottom cooking racks.

Has anybody considered or tried installing vent drop pipes from the lid that might allow the heat to stack up deeper in the top before venting? This might cause a little more convection and achieve more uniform temp profile. Any thoughts?

Back