Replacement Pellet Grill Controller

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What do you think is the best or acceptable pellet grill controller replacement ? Is there a USA made controller ? What works ? The reason I ask is that my original was acting goofy and the replacement did not work at all. Chinese made but I'm not against that if it is virtually flawless. Thanks mike

I recently installed a Smokin' Brothers/Savannah Stoker in a hand-me-down Traeger. Works like a champ. Once the temp settles out it holds +/- 5*.

For me, it was a huge upgrade because the grill is @ 12 years old and all original. As soon as the controller acted up, I replaced it. Night and day difference. Automatic start up and cool down programs, meat probe, and a program that makes user selected adjustments based on time and temp. Made the old hand me down much more reliable.

Controller

For me, it was a huge upgrade because the grill is @ 12 years old and all original. As soon as the controller acted up, I replaced it. Night and day difference. Automatic start up and cool down programs, meat probe, and a program that makes user selected adjustments based on time and temp. Made the old hand me down much more reliable.

What about the installation ? Do you have to clip wires and replace the connectors ?

Seems like the temp probe was the only thing hard wired. Everything else is plugs. New plugs are color coded. I traced out the plugs from the cooker and labeled them so I knew what went where. It's a pretty simple process. Watch the depth of any new controller. The back of the slot and/or the wires can get into the fan of the auger motor. I just cut some scrap Plexiglas to shim the controller slot out about 1/2". Another 1/4" probably would have been better. You could use scrap wood if you have some laying around. I know they sell an adapter, also. Bottom line, the whole thing took under 1/2 hr and it works great. There is an instructional video of the controller I have, produced by Smokin' Brothers, that shows how to use it.

Back