Cast or stainless

Potentially great score. All burners not lighting might be as simple as burners needing cleaning or could be the crossover tube deteriorating.

If it's free going to be hard to negotiate a lower price. :wink:

I bought my Weber Genesis 3000lx new on 8/15/99 (no craig's list back then). Since then I have replaced the flavorizer bars with a SS set from ebay. That is the only repair/improvement I've made in 14 years. It doesn't get near the use it used too since I've switched to lump, but she's out there ready for a quick burger or using the side burner for something too smelly to cook inside.

Dave - sounds like the wait was worth it. Given the fact that it is free, unless it is a total peice of junk, the only thing I would really worry about is the frame being solid. Everything else can be replaced. Nice thing about it being a Weber is that parts will be available from a couple of different sources. Hope it works out well for you.

Things to look for:

- choose propane or natural gas. Regardless of what the seller says, Weber no longer sells conversion kits.
Weber will no longer sell you the parts to convert your grill. You can get the parts from a 3rd party dealer if you know what to get. If you grill has already been converted and you want to convert it back to it's original state, Weber will sell you those parts.

- check the crossover tube for the burners as that's the part that seems to fail first. I'm not sure if you can get that by itself of need to buy the entire set.
You can get them by themselves.

see above

weber update

Went and picked up the weber gas grill this morning, it is not in as pristine shape as I had thought it would be, but it is not beat up either. The crossover tube is shot but I can light all 3 burners with a lighter, only need to light one to get them all going. I found the crossover tube at a couple places for less than 10.00 so that is not a biggie.

The one thing that has me a little stumped are the grates, this one has a 3 pc grate, and I do not think they are original because they will not lay flat but instead either the backside or the front side has to be up or down to fit. At first I thought maybe they were like that so you could cook at different levels but after doing a search I can not find any 3 pc grates to fit it. Again not a real biggie I just used the grates out of my old gasser and they fit just right.

They only other item is the temp gauge, it does not work, and I can't for the life of me figure how to get it out, again I can order one for about ten bucks if I can get this one out otherwise I may just drill a hole and put in one I have on my old grill. He even gave me the bottle and my bottle off of my other grill fit right up, so no worries there.

This is a Silver B 3 burner, I think, and I forgot to ask how old, but I am sure its is close to around 10 years old, he said he just put in new stainless flavorizer bars about a year ago, and the frame is solid, so I think its a keeper.

If the snow storm will stay on hold for a couple more hours I may just toss on a couple pork steaks in a little while. Life is good. :biggrin1:
Dave

Agree with bobafft. Definitely worth the wait. Mine is built like a tank, and the cooking and clean up is effortless. Go Weber, or go home. :thumb:

Me, too. I had a Charbroil "Commercial" gasser with solid brass burners. I figured that would last forever. Problem is, the inner structure of the grill rusted out in three years -- in Dallas. :mmph:

My dad has a Weber Genesis in Houston that is stored outside. It is at least ten years old. He's never replaced a single part on it.

FYI, the Genesis and Summit Webers are Made in USA, the Sprit series grills are not.

CD

I would like to know where I can get cast iron replacement burnes for gas grills. In my experience, the "stainless" burners are thin and a poor grade of stainless; because they rust out within about 3 years on average.

My gasser is 12 yrs old and my s/s burners work fine.

Mo-Dave - would love to see some pictures of your find. Sure sounds like it won't take much to get it back to complete working order. Good snag.

Sorry for the poor photo, it got dark and started raining last night, but I did cook on it. I grilled some pork steaks. ancho chilies, and mushrooms, also had baked sweet potatoes, and cease salad, it really hit the spot.

Does anyone know how the the temp gauge goes in and out of the lid? I tried channel locks, but could not budge it and stopped before I broke it, did not see any threads or nuts.

It was a little different having the burners going from right to left, instead of front to back but I think I will like that. Also like the flat top on the cover, nice for keeping pans and such warm. Also had no flare ups like my old grill would have, I even oiled the grates and brushed oil on the veges from time to time with not problems.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77491&stc=1&d=1364151391

Attachments

• Image03242013132318.jpg
    Image03242013132318.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 39
On that model the temp gauge just pulls out. It was designed to double as a meat thermometer if I recall correctly. It is probably just stuck from many years of cooking.

Thanks Bob, I just came inside to post that I got it out, and it came out very easy, I must have loosened it up when I cooked on it last night. It is shot, so I guess I can go ahead and order that, plus the crossover tube now, it will help a little on shipping. Can't really think of anything else it needs, except a drip pan, thought I would just rig up a coffee can underneath for now. I do have one other question, the lid handle is stanined and was wondering if anyone knows what will clean that up? I am guessing it is grease stain.
Dave

That's the three burner model of my Silver A. In fact, at one time I had one just like it.

P1010273-PP.JPG

Then I found a Gold C and sold the Silver B. Then I finally talked my fishing buddy into replacing his Brinkman with a Weber and gave him my Gold C so now all I have is the Silver A (and a Q-220) and they meet my needs for a gasser.

Yep, its the one on the right, I see you did not have any temp gauges on either one. In fact, I rarely use any gauges on my gasser only to check internal food temps, thought I would go ahead and get one to have a better understanding of whats going on inside, until I have it figured out, but don't think its a real necessity.
Dave

... I see you did not have any temp gauges on either one.
The same gauge fits the Master Touch and SS Performer. I have more grills that use those gauges than gauges and swap them around when I need them, so you can't really come to any conclusions because you don't see one in the picture. :wink:

Back