View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

if i'm glazing with jelly i typically go 50/50, jelly/water heated so that it becomes a syrup, but i apply it just warm enough that it flows. i pull the ribs about a 1/2 hour before i think they're done and horrors of horror, i finish them on a gas grill or in the oven to glaze. i can finish them on the smoker, but it means opening the door a lot and if i've got other things cooking i hate to lose the heat. most jellies have high sugar content and if you don't watch them over a low temp you stand a really good chance of going past glazed to burnt. i typically will apply the glaze three times with a brush and then watch for them to set. you can also glaze right before you serve if your ribs are done early and you're holding them. my experience with foiling or wrapping after glazing is that it makes a sticky mess. for me, the glaze is perfect if it isn't sticky to the touch has a nice shine, even coloration and adds to the flavor profile and texture of what i'm serving.

these were glazed with a raspberry preserve with my rib-rub and triple-sec added to taste. it also goes great on duck.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote