Using Jellies as glaze

Emu

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use a pepper jelly as a glaze for my pork butt. I've seen threads/recipes saying to use it as-is, others say cut it with sauce/white wine/etc, and others that say cut it, then cook it down to re-thicken.
Is there a consensus? Am I over thinking it?

Also- when do I glaze? I usually finish wrapped in foil, so how would that work?

I've had an account since 2010 and this is the first time I've not found it already answered in a thread somewhere!

I can guarantee you there's no consensus.

I've used pepper jellies cut with Blues Hog with great results. I'm guessing you could use 'em uncut, but I've never tried that.

I wouldn't foil after glazing for fear of messing up the glaze. If you foil, I'd take it out of the foil for the last part of the cook then glaze.

I use some homemade jellies for some stuff and I preheat in the microwave first--if the consistency looks good, I go w/it as is, but if it looks thick, I'll cut it with water. I wouldn't cover unless you plan on leaving it on for a long time.

I've done both ways. Never on pork though. Just try it and see how it goes. I bet it won't suck.

Thank You. Next rib cook in my PBC I'm going to glaze with a mixture of Stubbs sweet and Spicy and a jalapeño jelly mixture. At least one rack anyway.

I tend to dilute it, as I find jelly alone is too intensely sweet and singe note. But, more so, if the texture is okay, I don't see why not to use it straight, it will be shiny then.

On my ribs, I put some blue hogs on and then put a propane torch on them about 15 minutes before they are done.

My people seem to love that sweet and spicy (from the rub)...

Never used it on ribs but I once did a bacon wrapped,sausage stuffed pork tenderloin with a jalapeno/corn cob as a jelly glaze and it was fantastic. I glazed the last twenty minutes or so.

You guys are awesome! :clap2:

borntorun- Not sure, I'm still at school, but I will look when I get home. Is there an identifiable difference?

Mark- thanks for the search term. I tried a bunch of different ones, didn't try that one. :doh:

Skidder- Corn cob? Is that a brand name, or is actual corn cob involved?

if i'm glazing with jelly i typically go 50/50, jelly/water heated so that it becomes a syrup, but i apply it just warm enough that it flows. i pull the ribs about a 1/2 hour before i think they're done and horrors of horror, i finish them on a gas grill or in the oven to glaze. i can finish them on the smoker, but it means opening the door a lot and if i've got other things cooking i hate to lose the heat. most jellies have high sugar content and if you don't watch them over a low temp you stand a really good chance of going past glazed to burnt. i typically will apply the glaze three times with a brush and then watch for them to set. you can also glaze right before you serve if your ribs are done early and you're holding them. my experience with foiling or wrapping after glazing is that it makes a sticky mess. for me, the glaze is perfect if it isn't sticky to the touch has a nice shine, even coloration and adds to the flavor profile and texture of what i'm serving.

these were glazed with a raspberry preserve with my rib-rub and triple-sec added to taste. it also goes great on duck.

DSCN1487.jpg

DSC03262-1.jpg

I glaze my chicken and ribs with Texas Pepper Jelly usually Pineapple Hab. I like the Blues Hog Tennesse red mixed with it.

Richard that duck looks phenominal would you share the recipe for it

don't be intimidated by duck, unless your are phi... (never mind)

Whole frozen farm raised duck thawed. Remove the excess fat and skin from around the cavity opening. Rinse under cold water inside and out. Prick the skin through to the flesh all over with a fork.

Optional marinade - In a large zip loc add the contents of a bottle of raspberry vinaigrette, 1/2 tablespoon of lemon pepper (or whatever else you might want), the duck and enough water to cover the duck. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or leave on the counter for 2 hours. Take the duck out of the marinade, rinse and dry. (remember, dr. pepper is the universal bbq liquid. it can be substituted for any liquid at any time.)

I like to put it on a sheet pan in the fridge uncovered for 6 hours, but this step can be skipped. Salt and pepper inside and out (or rub of your choice) and throw it in the smoker at or above 325*. I cook over lump and add cherry or apple for smoke. a duck can take a lot of smoke, but don’t use mesquite (unless you live in or are from TX). Check after the first hour. It won’t be done (160* +) but you will get an idea of how the cook is going. If the duck isn’t vertical you will want to pick it up (carefully, I insert tongs into the cavity) and drain the fat that’s accumulated in the cavity. You can also flip the duck at this point. Knowing my smoker, I’d come back in an hour and do the same thing. Unless your temp really runs away on you it’s hard to fark-up a duck.

I pull in the 155*- 160+ range and glaze as already discussed. If I’m not making the duck with ribs I might still add some of my universal rub or something like 5 spice powder to taste. You want something to balance the sweet of the jelly and hit different parts of your mouth with the flavor profile. My suggestion, even if you’re serving something else, if you are feeding a bunch of people make more than you think you need. The yield is low and people go nuts for them. My biggest problem is getting the meat from the cutting board to the serving platter. More than one friend or child has almost lost a finger if you know what I meant.

Here’s a glaze I use a lot that takes a little more prep than just jelly, water and seasoning from paul kirk’s championship bbq sauce book (a must have in every bbq chef’s library)

2 cups tomato based bbq sauce
1 cup strawberry preserves
1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs chili powder
1/2 ts garlic powder
1/4 ts ground allspice
1/4 ts ground cloves

combine all, bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes and make sure you don't let it burn. As with pretty-much any list of ingredients, feel free to change them up to fit your flavor profile. I look at the above as a base from which I can add or subtract ingredients to get where I want to go. Think about building a rub, sauce or glaze, not just making it.

And here’s a couple of birds from another cook (before and after) glazed with the recipe above and with my universal rub instead of salt and pepper.

heading to the smoke (you can see how much skin and fat i cut away from the cavity)

P1000104.jpg

out of the smoker before the glazing

P1000110.jpg

glazed

P1000112.jpg

and for yield, that's most of a whole duck next to half of a 12 lb turkey

DSC03268-1.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! :clap2:

borntorun- Not sure, I'm still at school, but I will look when I get home. Is there an identifiable difference?

Mark- thanks for the search term. I tried a bunch of different ones, didn't try that one. :doh:

Skidder- Corn cob? Is that a brand name, or is actual corn cob involved?
I got this recipe from Cowgirl a frequent poster here.I just added some jalapeno for heat. Excellent stuff. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144236

Back