• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gadsden, Alabama

sfisch

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to be riding shotgun with Rich Parker from Michigan to Georgia to pick up his new fancy BBQ trailer. Then we are making the trip over to Gadsden for the contest there on April 13-14. Any Brethren members participating in that one?

I'll be there hanging out Friday and probably table captain on Saturday. Hope to meet you there.

This one is getting closer. Anyone else going to be there? This will be my brother's third contest to cook. Okey Dokey Smokey is his team name.

Make sure to stop by and say Hi! I was looking at some of the photos from 2010 in this and it looks really nice.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1246353&postcount=1

Scott and I are looking forward to hitting some seafood restaurants do you guys have any recommendations?

Rich - You can hit Top O'The River. They have some decent seafood.

There is also a Fish Market there. I've been to a couple of these. Sometimes they are hit and miss.
I heard The Fisherman is pretty good, but have never been there.

Have you guys received any info from the organizer? I sent an email a while back about if any of the hotels were offering teams a discount and didn't hear back. But I was expecting some type of communication about where to go and what times you can load in.

When i look up the address to the comp on Google Maps it shows a tiny residential street.

1500 Noccalula Road
Gadsden, Alabama 35904

Have you guys received any info from the organizer? I sent an email a while back about if any of the hotels were offering teams a discount and didn't hear back. But I was expecting some type of communication about where to go and what times you can load in.

When i look up the address to the comp on Google Maps it shows a tiny residential street.

1500 Noccalula Road
Gadsden, Alabama 35904

The park has a nice campground. http://nfcampgrounds.homestead.com/ I have a campsite reserved for Friday night. I don't remember any hotels with discounts. Best thing would be to call Janet Tarrance 256-549-4663. They do better with phone calls than email. Hope to meet you there.

...communication about where to go and what times you can load in.

From team letter; http://www.cityofgadsden.com/Sites/... Falls/Smoke on the falls pro letter 2012.pdf
The barbeque festival is scheduled for April 13-14, 2012. The teams are welcome to start setting up noon Thursday, April 12th thru Friday, April 13th at 3:00pm (all vehicles must be out of the contest area by 4:00pm). We will start the meat inspection at 10am on Friday and cooks meeting at 4:30pm on Friday.
Please feel free to contact us at (256)549-4663 about any questions that you may have.

You have the correct address.

Make sure to stop by and say Hi! I was looking at some of the photos from 2010 in this and it looks really nice.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1246353&postcount=1

Scott and I are looking forward to hitting some seafood restaurants do you guys have any recommendations?

Rich - You can hit Top O'The River. They have some decent seafood.

There is also a Fish Market there. I've been to a couple of these. Sometimes they are hit and miss.
I heard The Fisherman is pretty good, but have never been there.

Gadsden's not exactly close to the coast...I'd look for catfish joints.

Hard to beat a good Catfish, hushpuppies and some ice cold beer dinner.

Scott

1. It's not on a tiny residential street. If you have been to your share of BBQ contests in the south, this contest is on a MAJOR thoroughfare through a small town. It is on a 5-lane state highway just outside Gadsden proper. It is on the tail end of Lookout Mountain.

2. We did this contest in 2010. It is fairly well organized, good water and power and it is in a parking lot with grass islands behind you if you want to put your tent/chairs there for a slightly cooler atmosphere.

3. IIRC, there are a couple of cheap motels close by. There is a Jack's (AL based hamburger joint) within walking distance just behind the Falls at the park for a late snack Friday night or a Saturday morning breakfast. There's a convenience store across the road for ice/beer/etc.

4. The garbage trucks come through beeeeping at 4 am. Be ready.

5. There is a decent amount of family entertainment at the park. Mini-golf, train ride, walking through the park, the Falls, etc.

6. Top 'o the River is not really a seafood place, but a huge catfish/shrimp/chicken place that draws a Fri-Sat night crowd from 4-5 surrounding counties. It opens at 5pm CDT. I'd suggest getting there shortly after the cook's meeting or you're gonna wait 20-30 minutes.

7. Academy Sports at the end of I-459 usually carries B&B Lump (Oak) and has a decent amount of BBQ supplies. Lowe's is next door. Continue down the road (left turn at the light at end of I-459) and there's a Wal-mart, Firehouse Subs, TJ Maxx for kitchen supplies, etc.

8. Entry fee too damn high.

So there's a burger place behind us and a beer/ice store across the street in front of us. We are in big trouble!
Going to be a blast, looking forward to meeting all of you. Rich did you get a license plate to switch the Michigan one with?

Back