Judge My Chicken Box Please

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
To start I did my 1st comp this year in Owensboro Kentucky and met some really nice people and teams. Well I really want to compete with these guy’s and teams next year and I am looking on improving over the off season before we will attempt around 4 to 6 comps all in Kentucky next year.
That said I have learned that chicken is a pain in the BUTT!!! I am practicing on trying to get them all a uniform size and the bit threw skin…. The skin I have but all the same size well not so much.
I also have been playing around with sauces; this is one that had good flavor but not so much in the looks... not a good shine to it.
Another thing I have been playing around with is trying to pack as much moister in the chicken in a short time frame as if I were at a comp… again just okay at best but nothing close to what is needed.
With all that said this is only my 4rd attempt at making a KCBS style chicken box including the day at the comp. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

IMG_3590.jpg

It's hard to be accurate because of the angle of the picture. The judges see the box straight on with the hinge away from them, so there may be things that the saw that we can't see.

From what I can see, it looks very good. The chicken has a nice color, maybe a touch light) and the sauce looks to be even, except on the piece at the right top. It seems to have a blob of sauce on top. Also, the piece at the top right and the on below that in the same column look to have the skin pulled back on one corner.

I don't know if I would have noticed those in the few seconds thta you get to look at a box at the table, but a picture gives me time to study the box :)

One other thing... Even though the garnish isn't judged in KCBS (Satisfied, Dave? :rolleyes:) I would try to build the parsley bed higher to bring the meat up higher in the box. Make the meat the star.

My at-the-table score: Probably a 9

After staring at it for a while, an 8

I would give it an 8 on appearence although I would need to see it from a little different angle to say for sure. The middle thigh on the right has the meat pulling up a little and slightly less than perfect sauce application. A little more garnish placed neatly would hide the little bit of skin shrinkage better. while we don't judge your garnish, you can use it to help camoflauge slight imperfections. My 8 would be on the low end of the 8's in my mind unless something stood out that we can't see in the picture. For taste a 4 and tenderness a 5. That is only because the taste in my mouth is from my wife's meatloaf tonight and I can't seem to get enough beer in me to quench the burns I got from trying to swallow a truley dead piece of ground beef!!! Maybe disregard the 4 & 5, but I am pretty confident on the low 8 that I can see in your picture. Good Luck! Would you want to trade some chicken for some leftover meatloaf???

It's hard to be accurate because of the angle of the picture. The judges see the box straight on with the hinge away from them, so there may be things that the saw that we can't see.

From what I can see, it looks very good. The chicken has a nice color, maybe a touch light) and the sauce looks to be even, except on the piece at the right top. It seems to have a blob of sauce on top. Also, the piece at the top right and the on below that in the same column look to have the skin pulled back on one corner.

I don't know if I would have noticed those in the few seconds thta you get to look at a box at the table, but a picture gives me time to study the box :)

One other thing... Even though the garnish isn't judged in KCBS (Satisfied, Dave? :rolleyes:) I would try to build the parsley bed higher to bring the meat up higher in the box. Make the meat the star.

My at-the-table score: Probably a 9

After staring at it for a while, an 8

to respond to what is in read above;
Yea that is were I touched up the sauce with a brush.
And really you think it has a nice color? I was thinking I may need to thin it out some.
Thank you for taking the time and I will do a better angle next week

A little thinner on the sauce/glaze would help a bit with any blobs. As far as the color, it could be a little darker, but it's not bad as it is.

dunk it and let it drip. dont brush it. pretty glaze you can see your reflection in. if it dont glaze then a little honey r apple jelly melted into your sauce will work perfectly.

Add honey for a shine and dunk or drip sauce so you don't get brush marks. Other than that, your appearance is fine. Dial in your taste and tenderness and your good to go. You should be able to bite through the skin with no problem and have your chicken dripping with juice. If you can do that with good flavor, you are golden. Most can't do it. Good luck!

Ever since I figured it out, chicken is my favorite category. Never thought I would say that.

Just turn the two pieces (top two pieces on right) where the meat/skin pulled back around. They look to be backwards from the others anyway.

Also build your garnish up higher. Get the chicken sitting up as high as possible.

I agree with Ron_L, either 8 or 9. Nice color.

Back