Black Betty's first pron

radmanct

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know Rookie48 holds the record for the longest time building a UDS but I probably hold the record for the longest time having one done but not using it yet waited for fire basket. That changed this weekend.

First off I will say everyone on this board is crazy. Secondly I can see why for being my first time ever smoking something I felt like it is better than half the resturants/catered pulled pork sammies I have had. (I owe a lot to my brother irrad8 and of course this website.)

My Mens Rec softball team took first place this fall, clinched first a couple of Monday's ago when it was 30 degrees out here in Iowa, so I thought a celebration party would be a great time to try my hand at smoking. Little cocky for trying it out on 20 people considering I never had meat on the UDS and never had tried to smoke before.

Got up a 4 am (25 degrees, wind gusts of 25 mph, wind chill in the teens), 2 7 lb pork butts on at 4:45 am cruising around 220 ish, rubbed with Penzy's the night before. Foiled when internal was 165 around 1:15 pm. Took the UDS to 330 because of time pulled when internal was 198 at 3:15 pm. Only in cooler for 1 hr because the natives were restless. I was planning on 5:30 supper time. My picture taker didn't do a very good job. They didn't get a picture before I started pulling/in the container/or a sammie. Oh well.

Attachments

• Meat in Smoker.jpg
    Meat in Smoker.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Shred 1.jpg
    Shred 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Shred 2.jpg
    Shred 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 181
Looks good from here...how'd the crew like the sammies?

Looks great! Congrats on the inaugural cook. Keep on Smokin brother.

First off I will say everyone on this board is crazy.

Crazy like a fox! ...wait a second...fox...what would a fox taste like...I bet I could smoke a fox...I would have to catch one though....what to use for bait...maybe a chicken.........

Sorry, I got off topic for a second...Grub looks great!

You NEED some stuffed fatties in that Drum, you know for seasoning... ;)

I don't want burst yours or Rookie48's bubble but "Brian in So Cal" holds the record for longest time to build a UDS. He's well over a year and hasn't even burned the drum out.

That being said, your grub looks fantastic.

Crazy like a fox! ...wait a second...fox...what would a fox taste like...I bet I could smoke a fox...I would have to catch one though....what to use for bait...maybe a chicken.........

Sorry, I got off topic for a second...Grub looks great!

Nah... you just have to be a jogger with an appetizing lil' arm - easy enough... :wink:

Great first cook OP! Keep having fun!

Cheers,

:biggrin:

I don't want burst yours or Rookie48's bubble but "Brian in So Cal" holds the record for longest time to build a UDS. He's well over a year and hasn't even burned the drum out.

That being said, your grub looks fantastic.

I knew my brother didn't have THAT kind of record...

Thanks for all the comments.

Everybody seemed to enjoy it but with a lot of the big guys I'm sure they haven't meet to many things they didn't like, only had enough meat for 5 sandwiches left. The real good thing is nobody got sick and they still made it into work the next day.

Good to see that you've got it up AND running :biggrin:. Amazing just how good things taste when it's real Q, not the store bought stuff. Good lookin' eats there.

Back