• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Couple UDS questions....

F

Fat Agnus

Question#1 involves paint, I know I can use 1200* paint with no problem, would 500* hold up to the heat of a UDS ? The variety of colors goes up a bunches at the local auto store if it will handle the lower temp paint.

Question#2 pertains to the fuel basket height. Started with a grate from a Weber 22.5, it will stand about 2" off the bottom of the drum with the bolts I used to elevate it with. Will this be high enough for sufficient air flow ?

Question#3...purchased two sheets of expanded metal from my local House Despot store, they measured 12 X 24 inches. This makes my basket around 11 X 11 square give or take a quarter inch or so and 12 inches deep, will this size work okay ?

Been a member for a few months and figured I had to build one these after reading all the post concerning them. I'm blessed to have a drum refurbishing plant nearby, I don't have to do the burn out step, as mine is completly raw of paint at time of purchase. Cost are 26.00 for a raw refurbish / 48.00 for a new / 225.00 for a stainless all in the 55 gallon size.
Currently using a couple of WSM's and a big old gasser.

Thanks

answer#1: As long as you don't plan on going over the 500 degree mark in your UDS, I don't see why that paint wouldn't work. For smoking purposes you'll only be at half that anyway.

answer#2: 2" is plenty for airflow, from what I have read most do 1-1 1/2 " of airflow.

answer#3 sounds like that fire basket will do nicely.

I'm sure others with more exp. will chime in. I have built only one, but hey we all gotta start somewhere.

I used high temp paint and then my daughter painted flames on it with cheap paint. It seems to be holding up fine. The outside gets real warm but you can still touch it with your hand. If it gets over 500 degrees think what it would do to your temp gauge. 2" standoffs are more than adequate in my opinion.

Here is a picture of my grate. used a fire grate from the weber. the angle iron used for feet was 2 in X 2in have had no ash build up problem so far. next one I build will use the bolt and washer mod for the feet. I think that is a great idea. dimensions of my expanded metal for the fire bos is 14 inch in diameter and 7 inchs high, holds 12 14 lbs of bircquets fine.:icon_bigsmil
No answer for the paint! Build on Brother, build on!

Attachments

• 100_0319.jpg
    100_0319.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 116
next one I build will use the bolt and washer mod for the feet. I think that is a great idea.

Great Idea! Thanks! You just solved my final design dilema!

Well. mostly. I still have an urge to have a round "pan" under the fire grate to collect the ash so I don't have to scoop it out.

I just gotta find a pan that is about 16-18 inches across and 1 inch deep. I'm looking for a deep dish pizza pan...but haven't had any luck so far.

I have even used the camo paint you can buy at the auto parts stores with no problem. The barrels (as long as the lid is on) dont really get any warmer than a car setting outside in the summer time.
As for the rest you are on the right track.

Attachments

• camoQ.JPG
    camoQ.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 104
attachment.php

Looks cool. Like a Navy Seal smoker, periscope and all!

Thanks for all the help !!! Will post some pics when complete.

Back