First smoke on BGE. Lookin' for advice.

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well I'm finally almost finished with my table.
IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

Just have to cut the hole in the butcher block top today.
IMG_1230.jpg

Anyway, I'm planning on doing the first smoke on my XL BGE on Sunday, BB or spares not sure which yet. I'll warn you I'm a novice with lump charcoal. I'm ashamed to say it but I've been a gasser most of my life. Even my first smoker. I wouldn't mind some tips on using the egg.

If I had specific questions these would be a few:

Fire building tips

How high to fill the fire box

minion method or not? (I'm planning a pork butt later this week so any tips on that as well would be great, I'm assuming I'll need more charcoal for that cook)

Setting the vents and dialing in a temp

anything else you can think of and want to add would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Peace

I have a large and no matter what I am cooking I use the same method.. fill with lump, I drizzle some oil on a paper towel and twist that up, toss it on the lump and light both ends.
Once your coals are lit, close the lid with the intake wide open and the top off. Once things are moving along, put in yur plate setter and keep an eye on your temps - when they are starting to get to your cooking temp start closing things down - intake first. Don't let it get out of control or you will play heck trying to get the temp down.
Goos luck and have fun!

Some will say it isn't necessary, but I think it important to do the first several smokes low and slow in order to settle in the gaskets. Save Pizza and other high heat cooks for later.

You also can get your lumps started on your gasser. Make sure your gauge is in the ballpark. Get some beer and babysit it. Good luck!

I would also test the egg's thermometer in ice water and boiling water.
Double check that thing is very close to actual temps.

I have a large and no matter what I am cooking I use the same method.. fill with lump, I drizzle some oil on a paper towel and twist that up, toss it on the lump and light both ends.

When you say "fill" with lump do you mean you fill the firebox to the top every time? I guess that would be fine since the charcoal is reusable right?

I would also test the egg's thermometer in ice water and boiling water.
Double check that thing is very close to actual temps.

That sound like a good idea. I also like to put my own thermo inside the smoker at grate level just to make sure.

Some will say it isn't necessary, but I think it important to do the first several smokes low and slow in order to settle in the gaskets. Save Pizza and other high heat cooks for later.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a bunch of people have smoked their gasket pretty quickly. Lucky for me ribs and butts are already on the menu for next weekend. I'll admit I am excited to try pizza though.

I usually guage it by what kind of cook I am doing and the position of the plate setter. If it's legs down you can put in more lump. You need to be able to keep your airflow. And yes - you are right... once you are done your cook you can just shut the intake and put on the rain cap and save the lump for the next cook.

The paper towel/oil method that L_M described works great. I also use a torch and light the pile of lump with that.

I fill us the firebox for shorter cooks (like grilling or short low temp cooks like ribs and fill up to the top of the ring for long low temp cooks like butts or briskets.

A couple of tips:

1. It is much easier to catch the temps as they rise than it is to bring them down if you over shoot. As the temp climbs after you have shut the lid don't walk away. It can get very hot quickly.

2. Trust the Egg. Once you have the vents set and your temp is stable, the temp will drop when you put in the meat. How much depends on how much meat and how cold the meat is. Resist the urge to adjust the vents because of this. The Egg will recover. If it hasn't after 20 - 30 minutes then make small adjustments and give them time to take effect.

Ron,
Thanks for the advise. I have been struggling to keep the temp even. It's been somewhere between 210* and 300* all day. I have been messing with the vents a bit every time I put meat on. I've been good about not lifting the lid once it's on (except to pull the fattty off, can't christen the BGE without a fatty to snack on) although it's tough. I want to look...bad. I will try to heed your warning and let it recover after I put the meat on next time.

The spares are off and the BB are on. For the first time cooking on it I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. I was pressed for time today so I just bought the pre cut St. Louis style ribs. I could have trimmed them up a bit but building that table has me worn out.

IMG_1241.jpg

The table is FINALLY done. I do have that proud new papa feeling today though.
IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Thank you to everyone for the advise. Please don't hesitate to add more if your so inclined. I haven't exactly mastered this thing yet.

I did my first BGE smoke a couple weeks ago. I dialed it in to 250* and it just stayed there, never fluctuating. I couldn't have been happier.

My only question regarding BGE smoking is: water in the drip pan or leave it dry? What do you guys do?

beautiful table you got there!....if I had your skills, I wouldn't have bought one but gone your route...i'm always wishing I had more room - like yours!!....congrats on your inaugural cook....they'll be plenty more where that came from!....i love my egg!!

I did my first BGE smoke a couple weeks ago. I dialed it in to 250* and it just stayed there, never fluctuating. I couldn't have been happier.

My only question regarding BGE smoking is: water in the drip pan or leave it dry? What do you guys do?

Yeah I though I had mind dialed in at 250* but then I put meat on and started messing with it it's kind of been fluctuating ever since. I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job building my fire. I don't think I spread the coals out good enough. It's just kind of burning in the middle.

I've been using a BBQ Guru now for 6 years. I still have my original Guru Competitor and now a new DigiQ. While I know you can dial in an egg without using something like a Guru, it makes life so much easier. This is especially true if you are doing an overnight cook. There are a lot of variables that can impact your temps (outside temp, wind, rain, sunshine, amount of lump left, etc.). They are spendy little buggers but I think they are worth every penny. I know for a fact that I would not use my egg(s) as smokers nearly as much if I didn't have my Gurus.

If I'm going to build a fire for an overnight cook I always start with an empty egg. I dump out a couple bags of lump into a big Rubber-maid container and then pick out the biggest pieces. I put them in the egg like a jigsaw puzzle. When the big ones are all pieced together I pour in small and medium sized chunks to take up the remaining gaps. Then in a metal pail I start 2 or 3 good sized chunks and let the get blazing hot. I put those dead center in the middle and close the lid. It takes up to 30 minutes to come up to temp but I have no problems (especially with the new Digi Q) locking in on a temp and staying there. This weekend I cooked a Brisket. I put it in the egg at midnight and when I went to check on it 8 hours later it was still 225.

The only other piece of advice I can give is if you need to open your lid, do whatever you need to do quickly. The air rushing in every-time you open the lid can really stoke the coals.

BTW those ribs look great.

Yeah I though I had mind dialed in at 250* but then I put meat on and started messing with it it's kind of been fluctuating ever since. I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job building my fire. I don't think I spread the coals out good enough. It's just kind of burning in the middle.

Here's what I did on my first cook.

Cleaned out the firebox of all excess dust and ash. Filled the firebox with lump, big pieces on the bottom. Then I lit a cheap-o starter cube in the middle of the lump and closed the dome with no top and the vent wide open. Once it got to 200* I put in the plate setter, closed the vent half way and put the daisy wheel top on. Once it got to 250* I put the meat on and closed the vent most of the way. I think it was still wanting to climb but the cold meat just killed the heat climb and it just stuck. I couldn't believe how consistent the cook was, just as good as my dad's FEC-100 with a much better flavor profile!

Good luck on your next cook, I hope you get the temp fluctuations figured out. :thumb:

Back