• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot and Fast Brisket

good looking brisket I do mine hot and fast as well around 300 to 350.. IT usually hit 165 around the 3 hr mark I foil and flip then i go by feel on when the meat is done which has been around 6 hrs. Did you inject at all???

Chief/ no worries. That was a good question. I'm in pork country too. I cooked my first brisket about a year and a half ago and it has become my favorite thing to cook. Even got a 7th place call in Rocky Mount NC last yr. :)

no injection. I didn't want too many variables for the test. That will be my first try when I get back home.

I tried the hot and fast method last weekend...I cooked at 300 and once the brisket hit 165, I pulled and wrapped it...at 200 in the foil, I pulled the brisket and let it rest for about an hour...when I cut into the flat, it was still pretty tough. Is it me or the beef? What can I/should I do to ensure a more tender brisket on a consistent basis?

Diver, I didn't mean to horn in on your thread, your brisket looked awesome and in the hopes I could cook one that looked as tasty as yours, I posted the ^ reply...I apologize if I was out of line...artie

I tried the hot and fast method last weekend...I cooked at 300 and once the brisket hit 165, I pulled and wrapped it...at 200 in the foil, I pulled the brisket and let it rest for about an hour...when I cut into the flat, it was still pretty tough. Is it me or the beef? What can I/should I do to ensure a more tender brisket on a consistent basis?

If you're using foil once it's between 160 and 170, it's EASY to get it tender (AND keep it juicy.) The challenge for me at least, is to get the bark close to how I like it with the right texture and flavor, and just not overcook it where the pieces are falling apart and starting to remind me of pot roast. Of course, it's good for the brisket to actually have a great flavor, too, but that's more up to the meat, itself.

The key is like the topic poster said, a probe should slide in "like butta". Time resting in foil is for juice reabsorption I believe, and not so much for a substantial increase in tenderness. Of course, there is residual cooking going on, depending on how hot you let it rest, or the degree of insulation. I just consider the time I have to supper and try to make the best call on that.

I can't emphasize enough: don't go by internal meat temp if the brisket is wrapped in foil. Two hundred degrees will mean nothing cooking at 300 degrees wrapped in foil, unless it's sat a 200 for a while already. You gotta go by feel with a probe or something.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

^ Yep. Regardless of the temp on the meat probe, I won't pull it off until there is no tightness/resistance. I usually do not monitor meat temps, but I will until I get the timing just right using the new technique.

To me if you foil your brisket it's not how hot or fast you cook, it's when you foil and with how much and what kind of liquid and when you unfoil that counts.

Oh no, don't get me wrong... good ribs and chit can be made many different ways just like the poster I quoted said. Adjustments can be made to end up with good stuff no matter what technique you may use. I think what bhe is saying is that it depends most on the cook... not the foil or liquid.

I knew this was coming soon.

Beautiful brisket Diver...nice job!!

Hi, to address the soft bark texture that goes with foiling, has anyone ever tried crisping up the outside on a hot grill for a few minutes (maybe 10-15 min) before resting? Just curious

That looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Back