Newbie to the site...

mrkkti

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
...been reading a lot of the posts here, great stuff. I haven't used my smoker/grill yet (new to that too, I did post an introduction in the Cattle Call forum), but I was wonder, brining....what stuff do you brine, what don't you brine. Read about someone brining butts. One response said they only b rine poultry. Well, I was thinking my first attemp at Q'ing would be either ribs, chicken, game hens, or all of thee above. Wasn't even considering brining the chicken; was just going to use a rub....is that a bad thing?

Some brine chicken. Some brine turkey (fresh -- the regular commercial stuff like Butterball is already injected/brined).

A recent discussion ensued about brining pork butt.

I'm trying out brined ribs today.

Look up recipes and give it a go. Heck, it's your food - do what you want!!

If it's nasty -- bury it in the yard and nobody will know unless you tell 'em or I show up with my Bobcat! :D

DFLittle said:
...Heck, it's your food - do what you want!!

If it's nasty -- bury it in the yard and nobody will know unless you tell 'em or I show up with my Bobcat! :D

Yea! you're right! It is my food, damn-it!

Aahhmmm, don't think the wife would like the bobcat tearing up the backyard however :wink:

Don't listen too much to DF when it comes to burying stuff. I think he's part gopher or something.

Lots of people brine birds, some I learned this week brine a butt.

Me, never. I watch the sodium, so I just like to marinade and rub.

Brine that bird. You won't regret it.

turkeys and chickens brine great.. I have a few brines posted in the receipe sections for poultry.

Salmon brines up nice too.. takes about 2-3 hours.

I used to brine butts in apple juice and herbs. makes a difference, but not worth the bother.

never brined ribs....interesting concept.

I brine my butts!! Two days in water with enough sea or kosher salt to float an egg. Then I add sugar, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce and whatever spices strike me at the moment.

Mista

A good brine soak will generally always improve any good large chunk of meat. It saturates it with water and makes for a jucier finished product. If you smoke a turkey that is already injected, like a butterball, then they are already brined. It is one of Butterballs secrets for a juicy bird. Any more brine will not improve their flavor. Be sure that you keep the meat cool when you brine it or you will cause a run on the local bathrooms.

Good point Wayne! I always brine in the fridge. If you don't have the room in the fridge, use a cooler and add plenty of ice. I believe that you want the brining done below 40 degrees.

Back