Wet aging - How to tell when it has been long enough?

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, for those who wet age briskets, how do you know that they have been aged enough and not starting to go bad?

Thanks.

wallace

If its still cryovac'd little bubbles will start to appear between the meat and the plastic.

To be totally safe, you need to know the pack/kill date that is marked on the case the meat was shipped in. The cryovac needs to be puncture-free, no leaks at all. I double bag briskets in plastic food bags, like pan liners, to help protect the cryovac.

You also need to keep the meat in the 32-36 degree range for the entire aging period. You don't want it in a kitchen refrig that is always being opened. I use a small chest freezer that's controlled by something like this.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379691564&sr=8-3&keywords=plug+in+temperature+controller"]Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com[/ame]

If I know the kill date I feel safe to age briskets up to 50 days from that date.

Since I am usually not 100% sure of the kill date I go by the bubbles. when/if I start to see little bubbles it is time to use or freeze within the next week. If the bubbles are getting larger it is to time freeze or use immediately Also as said above do not use kitchen fridg. I usually do not go past 3 or 4 weeks so may not see bubbles at all. Keith

Bubbles up to the size of a nickel are ok. You will need to wash it and immediately throw out the packaging. Don't open in the wife's kitchen. Kill date up to 60 days is usually ok.

Note: if you get a pin prick break in the cryovac while aging the meat will go bad.

Back