WSM observations and questions

I have had problems controlling temps with mine as well. I have had it about 18 months and have to be real careful to start with just a couple of lit coals and start shutting the vents at 150 or so. I know my door leaks as all do but also believe one of my bottom vents is slightly raised when shut and may be drawing in some air. Hope you find your problem, the weber folks are good with working with you if you can't.

I only use two vents on my 22 WSM. I leave the top vent always open, and only use one of the bottom vents.

I've got about 15 cooks on mine now. It still leaks around the door a little but I'm not sure that's ever going to change. I have very little smoke coming from around the joints. I use the Digi-Q to control temps most of the time. The temp at the bottom rack is usually 15* cooler on my 22.5.

Maybe the Cajun Bandit door is better - I'm just not sure it's worth the cost.

I've got about 15 cooks on mine now. It still leaks around the door a little but I'm not sure that's ever going to change. I have very little smoke coming from around the joints. I use the Digi-Q to control temps most of the time. The temp at the bottom rack is usually 15* cooler on my 22.5.

Maybe the Cajun Bandit door is better - I'm just not sure it's worth the cost.

My door "leaks at the top corners, but it hasn't affected temps at all. I'm also thinking of getting that cajun door but it's not a big priority for me. Are you using water in your water pan? I ask cause 15* isn't a big temp difference, which is good to know.

If your door is bad enough to need changing, Weber will replace it at no cost. I still get a little smoke out the door when the fan kicks on, but I don't expect airtight. If you take your time you can shape the door to fit better. I think they all get flattened a bit in shipping, at least the last 4 that I have been a part of putting together.

Bottom grate is generally 4-10 degrees different than top rack and it will vary depending on whether you use a foiled pan, foiled with heat sink, or foiled with water in pan.

I'll throw out a disagree with the suggestion of cracking all bottom vents and not just one. I use only one in order to better control mine and find I can fine tune temp just a couple degrees with just the one.

However, like CD I now use an IQue on mine which makes it super easy. In fact, I actually drilled in a UDS style pipe nipple so that I get a direct connect without the canister attachment and it works super easy. The doors I've put foil ducting tape over to completely seal them as I don't use a water pan or a clay pot.

I can easily maintain anywhere from 190 to 350.

The main thing would be, whatever you learn over these first 5 or 10 cooks will, in the long run, be a bit irrelevant. Your pit is going to change after a few cooks. So just chuck some pork butts and fatties on there and run it without having to worry too much about temp and get some wear on it. Then you'll be able to start really working on controlling it.

I usually use a single bottom vent to control temperatures on my WSMs (with the other two remaining closed.)

I had trouble controlling temperature on the first couple cooks so I ran a bead of high temp silicone around the bottom edge of the middle section.

DSC_1315-PP.JPG

This is an excellent idea! Thank you!

I usually use a single bottom vent to control temperatures on my WSMs (with the other two remaining closed.)

I had trouble controlling temperature on the first couple cooks so I ran a bead of high temp silicone around the bottom edge of the middle section.

DSC_1315-PP.JPG

Excellent feedback folks.

I didn't have temp problems, but it was only a 5 hour cook.

I was very concerned that with all of the leaks, the coals would try to pull air from them.

Great suggestions and thanks for helping out. I really love this thing.

Dave

Back