Been on mine for two years and still going strong. It's darkened a little when the temps got away from me ( flames out the top) but it's still there.

Well, I'm finally making my second UDS, mainly for ribs and chicken, but I guess I should ask any ??'s on a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a Kingsford kettle lid that fits my drum nicely, and the drum doesn't have no red or tan liner, just bare metal.:-D

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the guy who posted the craigslist entry about the custom grates is our own Midnight Smoker Guy(I think his screen name is Meyer-something). There can't be that many people doing custom metal work in Minneapolis, KS.

Placement of 2nd Thermometer

Hey folks,

I have a newly minted 55 gallon UDS and just received my 2" pit thermometer from BBQ Bonanza. I already have a turkey thermometer mounted just below the lower cooking grate. Where should I mount this 2nd thermometer that has a 2" probe end? Dome lid? Another part of the UDS body?

Thanks.

Anxiously waiting with drill in hand.

I just contacted the CL guy, and he replied right away. Pretty reasonable for a custom cooking grate that will be part of my Bucky Badger UDS. I'm excited about this possibility!

JD Intake

Hey, all.

I PM'd JD to ask about getting one of his slider intakes made up and, sadly, he is out if the UDS business. He did, however, say if there was enough interest from folks, he might look into having the metal shop fab some.

Who else is interested in on of JD's nifty intakes?

help!!
looking 4 local uds for sale or cheep drum food grade
Akron,oh
thanks your brother in bbq

Low and slow uds vs wms

My wif ere ally hated how smokey the ribs and fatty were last week, so I took the advice of some on the forum and bought the book Low & Slow. The "lessons" are all for the wms, offset, and kettle. What kind of adjustments should I expect with my uds?

I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed by this but I just read this entire thread. I'm pretty sure I could have stopped many many pages ago but it's pretty cool to see some of the mods.

thanks everyone

I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed by this but I just read this entire thread. I'm pretty sure I could have stopped many many pages ago but it's pretty cool to see some of the mods.

thanks everyone

Whats to be embarrassed about by reading the best thread on here!!

My wif ere ally hated how smokey the ribs and fatty were last week, so I took the advice of some on the forum and bought the book Low & Slow. The "lessons" are all for the wms, offset, and kettle. What kind of adjustments should I expect with my uds?

Don't know about the thoughts in the book or how you cooked those last items but I'll hazard a guess that you had a fair amount of wood chunks mixed in with your lump or briquettes. I use lump and will mix in 3 or four 2x3" wood chunks in the entire basket. Plenty smoky for me.Also make sure the drum has gotten up to operating temp, around 250°, and the smoke coming from the stack is of the thin bluish kind as opposed to the thick white variety.

Some kind of a diffuser is also a nice thing to use. It will catch some of the fat resulting in a less smoky taste. Helps even out the temps too!

Back