Why I love Weber Kettles ......

Grain Belt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Tonight I cooked up some 2 inch thick prime sirloin steaks with new red potatoes, and a cast iron skillet of garlic mushrooms, all on my old standby, a '98 green Weber Mastertouch kettle.

I was thinking to myself, I could recreate this meal at so many places I like to spend time. There are kettles at my dad's place, at two hunting camps I frequent, at my sister's, and at several of my friends house. I also have a jumbo joe when the need arises on vacation.

If I have a bag of Kingsford, a handful of apple wood chunks, and an 18 1/2 or 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle in the area, I can cook most of the things I can think of.

I love kettles. They are so versatile.

I don't have a kettle but the food I've seen put out by them looks fantastic!

Three of my 11 cookers are Kettles. The WSM I have is built on the Kettle. Traveling tommorrow to do the family Easter and my 1999 3 wheeler and a prime rib are making the trip so as I can smoke it there to have for dinner. If I could only have 1 cooker it would be a Kettle.

I'd love to have a Mastertouch...2 tone red would be beauty but I'd take what I could get living in Canada.

Two kettles are all I use. The only failure has been pizza, and I think I have that solved.

I started smoking on a Weber kettle. The experience with heat control has been invaluable now as I've upgraded to a UDS and am in the process of building a reverse flow. Plus as a grill they just flat out rock.

My dad always cooked on one and when I bought my first home his gift to me was a Weber kettle. I had that grill for over 20 years. I have many other cookers now but still use the kettles all the time.

I probably average useing my 26.75 OGT 3-4 times a week, everything from burgers & steaks to indirect or slow smoking. Today it is a 17# Easter whole ham, Deguerre style. I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of other cookers, but the Weber kettle is my daily driver.

great thoughts

I bought my first one in 1977 as a senior in high school. My friends all thought I was nuts spending $40 on a grill!!

they changed their minds quickly

The one thing I wish they still included was their recipe book, it had a lot of good tips and recipes. Most all the basic questions asked here were answered in that little book!!

I do love my kettle! Gotta watch sun an wind exposure cause it can play hell with keeping the temp in check.

Attachments

• 2011-04-07_17-36-26_531.jpg
    2011-04-07_17-36-26_531.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 551
  • 2011-05-27_12-25-45_405.jpg
    2011-05-27_12-25-45_405.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 551
I started smoking ribs on a weber kettle as well. I still use it occasionally when I am grilling not bbqing. It is a valuable tool to keep in the arsenal.

My father used one for years as did I I wish I still had one on the old ones I gave mine to my son to replace the one I gav him for college as someone stole it when I got my Egg

We had a little storm the other day and the power went out in the morning, no power and the family needed breakfast so I fired up the kettle, tossed a cast iron pan on it and made some French toast and sausages.

I love my Weber 22.5 kettle. I gave away my big gasser about a month after I got it. I'm thinking of getting a new grill soon.

Decision time....

Is it gonna be a Weber Performer Gold or a Weber 26.75 One touch and a side work table?

No other contenders really, cause I can't afford a Weber Ranch Kettle...

VR,
Harold

I got a performer a few years ago and have not looked back. The stainless Jenn Aire just sits unless I want to rotisserie a bird....I indirect, grill, smoke just about everything. The work table and 4 wheels make it a joy to use. I have no desire to get anything else. I gave my son my Smokey joe and now he is ready to upgrade so the lil smokey will get the tamale pot treatment and become a mini WSM

I'm not sure you can beat it, pound for pound. Sure we all dream of that big offset reverse flow or a big insulated cabby like a stumps, but with a little effort you can make just about anything a kettle. I know I love both of mine and don't ever plan to void out a kettle from the line up.

Back