Any tips on how to upload pics so they don't end up sideways? I took all these pics normal but they switched when I uploaded them.

Send them to photo bucket then get the IMG link from there. Otherwise if going straight from computer you may have to resize them? Not sure. Try photobucket

first build of a uds and doing the seasoning of drum now. However seemed as though the cooking rack was closer to the coals than I expected. Rack only about 10 inches from top of charcoal basket. Basket supported by bolts and is about 3 1/4 inch off bottom of barrel.
Basket 12 inches tall. Rack is 7 inches down from top to allow plenty of room as I am using the flat top of the barrel. Was wondering how other builds compared.

thanks

bert-nc

first build of a uds and doing the seasoning of drum now. However seemed as though the cooking rack was closer to the coals than I expected. Rack only about 10 inches from top of charcoal basket. Basket supported by bolts and is about 3 1/4 inch off bottom of barrel.
Basket 12 inches tall. Rack is 7 inches down from top to allow plenty of room as I am using the flat top of the barrel. Was wondering how other builds compared.

thanks

bert-nc

First build of mine rack was around 8-9 below the top of the drum with a 10" high charcoal basket. My new one has a 12" high basket and it is a 2 rack job with the bottom rack being (guessing) about 12-14" above the charcoal basket. With my diffuser I can cook on the bottom rack and still get excellent bark and not burn the meat. Your measurements don't add up. Your basket sits about the same as mine and with a rack only 7" below the top how can you only be about 10" above the charcoal basket? You might wanna re measure things. :thumb:

First build of mine rack was around 8-9 below the top of the drum with a 10" high charcoal basket. My new one has a 12" high basket and it is a 2 rack job with the bottom rack being (guessing) about 12-14" above the charcoal basket. With my diffuser I can cook on the bottom rack and still get excellent bark and not burn the meat. Your measurements don't add up. Your basket sits about the same as mine and with a rack only 7" below the top how can you only be about 10" above the charcoal basket? You might wanna re measure things. :thumb:

will remeasure tomorrow after Sunday services and double check my math.

what are you using for a heat diffuser?

bert-nc

will remeasure tomorrow after Sunday services and double check my math.

what are you using for a heat diffuser?

bert-nc

16" pizza pan cost less than $5 at wally world. Has tiny holes already in it and I added my own bigger holes.

Don't spray your HOT UDS with Water.........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXuk2RdULY"]Steel Drum Crushed By Air Pressure - YouTube[/ame]

Hey all,

Just wanted to share some plans for building a UDS.
Anyway that's how I build mine :wink:

UDSinstructionplan_zps5806f10d.jpg

And another:
UDSBasicmeasurementsfor55galdrumusingkettlelids_zps3ca07a3f.jpg

The end result:
IMG_0069_zpscdbc25cc.jpg

Happy building your own UDS - they rock :thumb:

I have a temp question. I have a 55 gallon drum with a 2" exhaust. For inlets I have 2 3/4 ball valves and a 1" nipple. When I fire it up it takes forever to get to 220 and then struggles to get much higher. The times I have used it it has been pretty cold (for Texas at least) and windy. I have tried 10 lit coles and 15 lit coles. The last time I hit it with the weed burner for 30sec or so on the edge. Is this a weather issue or should I add another 1" nipple. I would love to hover around 260-275. From reading through this monster of a thread I should be achieving higher temps with just the 2 ball valves open.

Make sure valves are full port (for). You should just need 1 valve and 2 caps. If the valves are not fpt valves then they aren't a full 3/4 opening. Also let your coals get going really good for about 10 minutes before you put the lid on.

Make sure valves are full port (for). You should just need 1 valve and 2 caps. If the valves are not fpt valves then they aren't a full 3/4 opening. Also let your coals get going really good for about 10 minutes before you put the lid on.

Thanks, that could be the problem. I will give it another test run this weekend. If it still lags I am going to put another nipple in.

Yeah give your coals a chance to set first. Try that first. I had the same issue with temps and now I can easily get both of my drums up to temp. And it will take some time. If your cooking low and slow and extra 10 minutes to get up to temp never hurts. :wink: It is much easier to catch target temp by coming up slow than coming up fast and missing it and trying to bring it back down.

And @ BBQDane, good call on 3 bolts for BBQ racks. My one drum I used 3 bolts and I am sure they are not even and the rack does not wobble. My BP EDS that I built uses 4 bolts and the rack wobbles a tad.

I finally got mine built! I started the build and a Weber grill and cart showed up on the free column on CL, so I incorporated it in to the build. My lid was a little loose for a gasket I used high temp silicon hose, it can be seen in the last photo, it seems to work well.

Attachments

• DSC_0662.jpg
    DSC_0662.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC_0652.jpg
    DSC_0652.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 777
  • Fattys.jpg
    Fattys.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 777
Back