Shish Kabob Help

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Okay all you Shish Kabob experts I need some advise.
I'm doing beef tenderloin kabobs for lunch and need to know how you treat your veggies.

I use this marinade and I love it.
4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2/3 cup olive oil

I'm using onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, yellow squash, and zucchini.
My question is do you use the same marinade for your veggies as you do for the beef?
Also how long do you marinade your veggies?
I have a bad a$$ gasser I usually use because I can get the temps up over 700* for a quick sear.
My guess is the consensus here would be to use a charcoal grill. If I go that route should I cook with it covered or open. With or without wood chunks?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Do we have any Shish Kabob fans out there? Help a brother out share your knowledge. Maybe this question is so basic that you can't believe I'm asking.
yellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gif

I usually marinade the meat but not the veggies. Then, as the kabobs are cooking I brush on the same marinade (not the stuff that had the meat in it, however. I set some aside before the meat goes in).

As far as the grill, I use a Weber Kettle and alway cook with the lid on. A chunk or some chips will add a nice smoke flavor.

I only use peppers and mushrooms. For the peppers I read a trick I really like. I do a quick flash in boiling water. If I remember it is only for 60 seconds. Helps tenderize them so that they don't get charred while trying to cook.

For mushrooms I put them on a separate skewer

I marinade with olive oil a lil basalmic vinegar... I throw in 3-4 tablespoons of Arab Masala spices (basically arab curry with a bunch of spices) Throw this in ziploc bags in the fridge and will shake/rotate every once in a while...

I keep my meats and veggies on separate skewers... The meat takes much longer than the veggies... I sprinkle some more of the masala mix on the grill... I find that my family and friends prefer to have everything cooked apropriately instead of half undercooked and half burned...

Good stuff!!!

Thanks guys that's the kind of info I needed. I have never skewered the veggies by themselves. But that's what I will do today and in the future. No kettle here but my Cajun Grill works pretty much the same way, and that lets me know how close to set the charcoal to the cooking grate.:grin:

Pron later.:wink:

For veggies like bell peppers and onions, no marinade. But I glaze while cooking. I do mariunade mushrooms, squash and such, porous veggies, as they take the marinade well. Baste the kabobs always.

Just a warning that beef tenderloin tastes very different depending on how done it is. Past medium rare, it takes on the flavor of old shoes. It really is not my first choice for kebabs, as these often get overcooked. Definitely I would cook the veggies separately.

I agree with Landarc,

Your peppers and onions won't absorb the marinade so just baste them with it. Be careful with the Zuch, Squash, and shrooms. The shrooms will suck it up like a sponge, if you marinade too long the shrooms will taste like a mouth full of marinade. I also agree with keeping the veggies separate from the meats.

I always separate meat and veggies on skewers and then the items that cook at the time/temp. I don't often marinate veggies as I find I prefer the lighter flavor of a baste.

Back