Traeger Pellet Smokers

I have one, and use it for my chicken only. If you have the money, go with the Yoder pellet smoker instead. I'm upgrading to a Yoder later this Spring.

Check out the MAK 1 Star as well, the thing is a chicken machine.

I had a Traeger for about a month before I upgraded to the MAK, 2 Star in my case but I'm hoping to add a 1 Star to the comp trailer this year. Quality of the machine, USA made, great smoke output, excellent temp control and lots of options make them tough to beat.

Traeger has moved their manufacturing to China and the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The metal is a thinner gauge and FFF are off a bit. Had a pre-china 070 that I used for chicken for 3 years but gave it away and got the FEPG500 for chicken and ribs.

If you do get a Traeger, I recommend you upgrade the auger motor and look at a Savannah Stoker to control the temp instead of Traeger's.

dmp

I used two Traegers in comps for a few years then moved to UDS's. The Traegers just did not provide near enough smoke flavor in the meat. I also had issues with cold zones which made smoking ribs a challenge. While I used to be a huge advocate of them, after heavy use for a few years, I would not recommend them any more.

Also check out Country Smokers. I have the 680 model and really like it.

While you are looking, we would also suggest the Green Mountain Grills. We have cooked all 4 categories on ours in 35 comps over the last 2 years. We are very pleased with them.

There are lots of options these days for pellet smokers. If you need a drag behind, I recommend the WoodMaster T1000. You'll need a consistent power source though. I cooked a contest in November and it didn't like the power at all. Behaved beautifully on generator though. A marine battery/inverter system is a good option for any pellet cooker. The Woodmaster is a dual fire pot cooking machine that likes to run at 275 which is a bit warmer than normal.

Im a traeger dealer but I now own a I P T also ,anyone who is lookin at a pellet pooper needs to look at the IPT.I own three Traegers absolutly love the lil tex elite. JUST SAYIN RLNCOOKIN

Forgot one thing I found a Pellet called SELECT, FLOYDS KNOB Indiana out side of Jeffersonville In.These pellets are awsome. All pure wood no binder, no nothing, I went to the plant and watched them being made. RLNCOOKIN

You'll see lots of Traegers in competition and they'll do well. However, they are cheap Chinese junk now and there are unlicensed knock-offs as a result. Do your research and buy American

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to pick up a 22" WSM. I know that's not a pellet cooker. But my main goal was to pick up something that i could use to cook at home or use to practice one category at a time without firing up my big smoker.

My other cooker is a Backwoods Pro Jr. And firing that up for one butt or a couple or rib slabs is a lot of overkill. So i figured a bullet is the next best thing. It's a charcoal cooker that i'd feed with wood chunks and it has a water pan. So that should come close to what i'd produce on the backwoods. Plus before the backwoods i competed with 2 of the bullets so i'm familiar. Thanks for all the input brethren. I appreciate it.

Jason

Back