Compensating for the wait

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
One of the biggest obstacles in competition bbq is the wait time between the time when you turn in the beautiful, piping hot plate of wonderful BBQ and the time when the judges taste that lukewarm (at best) coagulated fat covered piece of flesh that it turns into.

There is nothing that we can do about the temperature. So what do you do to make turn ins taste good when they are cold?

heat them up?

wheres that penalty box again? :redface::biggrin:

I think the answer is to prep and cook it right ... just need to figure out how to do that.

Food tastes better cold sometimes. I love cold fried chicken and cold pizza

I pre-season my throat with a dozen or so Corona & Lime's and that seems to make cold brisket taste like 1st place brisket :mrgreen:, nah I'd like to know as well seems the answer could definatly help us as we have finished bad in brisket so far.

Ohhh for the days were your "box" was Butcher paper or Foil, which could be popped in after prep back on the days where smoke ring and bark represented "appearance" Not that we would use it that often... there were not long waits from what I remembered.

HMMM how hot to those glove inserts for hand warmers get.... just unwrap, scrunch it to get the chemicals together in the pouch and lay it in the bottom under your meat.

damn that "Marking the box" rule or I'd serve it on a preheated ceramic tile.

Ohhh for the days were your "box" was Butcher paper or Foil, which could be popped in after prep back on the days where smoke ring and bark represented "appearance" Not that we would use it that often... there were not long waits from what I remembered.
Those days are still here, and they're called IBCA.

KCBS has shorter waits. :mrgreen:

I used to think the same thing, but I recently went through a CBJ class taught by Mike Lake and he gave the impression that they really do try to hustle the food straight back to the judges table. Once 6 boxes are turned in, they are renumbered and sent straight back. Some judges will eat later than other judges. I haven't actually seen this in action to see how accurate he was, but it did make me feel a little better about the idea of food sitting around in the turn-in box.

In another thread I stated (and I'm still going to do this) that I am going to work on our flavor profile for luke warm food and not hot... When it cools down it looses a fair amount of the flavor...

In another thread I stated (and I'm still going to do this) that I am going to work on our flavor profile for luke warm food and not hot... When it cools down it looses a fair amount of the flavor...

Not only flavor but tenderness is affected when the meat is at room temperature. I have been thinking that overcooking slightly might be worth trying in that case.

I have started putting a pan of hot water or heated sauce in the center of our parsley putting green for about 30 seconds immediately prior to placing the meat in the box to take the chill off the greens that might otherwise help to more quickly cool off the meat. Not that it probably makes a huge difference but every little bit helps.

As for the time it takes to get an entry in and to the judges table still hot, it really isn't that long in MOST cases. I've been on the opposite side of the turn in table with the bread tray and as long as teams are rolling in, it might get to your judges within one minute of you bringing it up.

I'm not a CBJ so it could be that I don't understand the process but aren't the judges shown all of the boxes first and then each box comes back around and the judges get there portion and then they have to wait until they get all six of their portions on their mat before they start tasting?

I'm not a CBJ so it could be that I don't understand the process but aren't the judges shown all of the boxes first and then each box comes back around and the judges get there portion and then they have to wait until they get all six of their portions on their mat before they start tasting?

They taste and score as each box goes around. That last box ain't gonna be too hot...

That's not how they did it in the CBJ class or the 1 contest I judged.

The table captain opened one box, showed it to each person, asked us to rate it for appearance. That box gets closed, second box gets opened.....repeat until all 6 boxes have been shown and scored.

Then, box 1 gets passed around and you take a sample and put it on your mat. Samples 2 through 6 continue in this fashion until everyone has 6 samples. Then you taste and score entry 1, taste and score entry 2, and so on.

So what I'm hearing is there isn't consistency in the way that contests are judged.

Back