Am I a bad human being?

O

Orygun

I have had a brand new 22.5 WSM with a stainless steel door and two grommets that has been sitting on my back porch for almost a month now and I have yet to fire it up. Over the Labor day weekend I fired up the FEC100 and the Primo XL, but I just never made time to get the WSM going. Now I am starting to feel bad for it. Have I been a terrible human being for ignoring my virginal WSM?
I am feeling like this weekend will have to be my maiden voyage. Any suggestions? I am thinking something really simple like a fatty or ABT's. I have 6 bags of Kingsford Competition and several bags of RO lump, not sure which one to start off with.
One last question....would it work to load my fuel and then use my MAPP torch to get a couple of spots going and call that good?
Thanks,
Orygun

Yes you have been. You should send the 22.5 WSM to me so I can make sure it is taken care of like it is suppose to. The poor WSM has never done anything to you!

Ahh maiden voyage, go with a Boston Butt, get your temp set and let it go. Go on and get a long good burn in. I did two boston butts and 3 racks of ribs on my maiden voyage this past weekend.

I know it's hard to get away from the Primo XL. I'm sure it will understand if you cook some butts on the WSM. If it doesn't, send me the WSM so you don't have to alienate the Primo. Lol! Good luck

Tell me more about your maiden voyage...lump charcoal or briquets? How were your temps? And most importantly....how was the grub?

IMHO I don't think you're a bad human being - you're just of too many minds . . .

I have found that briquettes work FAR better than lump in the 22.5" WSM. And - your thought about lighting just a few briquettes at the top of your fuel load sounds to me like that would be the way to go. (And thanks for the idea!) I normally load up the ring with a couple bags of briquettes and then start 8 to 10 briquettes in the chimney and add those to a small indent that I've made in the top of the fuel pile.

My first run on the WSM got away from me. I made two mistakes. First off, I failed to protect the brand new cooker from the wind. Second, I fired up an ENTIRE chimney full of briqettes to get the party started - two ideas that lead to the WSM being WAY too hot!

By the third or fourth cook, the tiny air leaks had sealed up and I have made sure to protect it from any wind. This weekend will be about my tenth cook on it. A couple of weeks ago I actually had a burn of over 24 hours(!) Pit temp was 270F at the 24 hour mark. This was using the Kingsford Hickory briquettes. I packed that fire ring FULL of those briquettes and started by lighting 8 briquettes in my chimney. It was heaven because my brisket took 14 hours to come up to temp . . . and I didn't have to touch the fire at all! Nice!

Have a blast with yours and let us know how it goes -

I hope this helps . . .

Tell me more about your maiden voyage...lump charcoal or briquets? How were your temps? And most importantly....how was the grub?

I used briquettes. (There were on sale at Home Depot). Started with the minon method. First cook so it was still nice and shiny temps held around 250-260 (after five or six good cooks, temps should hold around 225 I have been told).

As for the grub, might tasty See here

You will enjoy it. I wouldn't mind get a Primo one day though to try out.

Sorry if this is hijacking, but I have a question for the WSM users. How many butts can you get in a 22.5 in one cook?

Use the WSM for a doorstop, put the groceries into the FEC100, "set it and forget it" then find yourself an appropriate beverage or two. You're not a bad person, merely misguided as the juvenile counselors say :loco:

Dear Lord, please forgive this man, for at least he has seen the errors of his way. Grant to him the strength, courage, and ability to fire up that WSM and produce a heavenly feast. Let not the WSM suffer rejection any longer, but be brought into the fold of dirty cookers, to the end that a tasty bounty might burst forth onto the dinner table. Amen.

Enjoy your WSM. I don't have a 22.5, but I bet you can get 6-8 butts on it...others will chime in, I'm sure. Don't forget to post pron!

Dear Lord, please forgive this man, for at least he has seen the errors of his way. Grant to him the strength, courage, and ability to fire up that WSM and produce a heavenly feast. Let not the WSM suffer rejection any longer, but be brought into the fold of dirty cookers, to the end that a tasty bounty might burst forth onto the dinner table. Amen.

Amen.

Sounds like you don't have enough mouths to feed to warrant using so much charcoal, so send it to Tennessee.:becky:

I typically use briquettes in my WSM, but I doubt you can go wrong either way. I have used my torch, as well as the Minion method for starting it, both worked great. You will probably get additional temp fluctuation with a new smoker, might settle in a bit better when it gets some crud in it.

Enjoy your WSM. I don't have a 22.5, but I bet you can get 6-8 butts on it...others will chime in, I'm sure. Don't forget to post pron!

Ya gotta love that! A man of GOD with a sense of humor.
If ya don't need it send it to a needy family.I'm just about as needy as ya can get.:-D

I live just over the border and would be happy to come by on Saturday and relieve you of the burden that WSM has become. I'll give it a good home and make sure it gets used regularly. And it will never be lonely with all the other cookers that are around. :becky:

Back