smoking whole hog

Shotgun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be smoking a hog next weekend and am in need of some tips. I have done a suckling hog before(with little success), but this one is a little big than Im use to( about 100-110lb). How long do you think a hog of this size would take? I have read a few websites that say around 5-6 hours, but that sound like that would be long enough. Any Help would be helpful. Thanks brothers.

5-6 hrs will get you to slicing temp.

You'll need 8-12 hrs depending on cooker and temp for fall apart pork! :cool:

Funny, we're cooking a whole hog next weekend too. (And could also use some tips)

Funny, we're cooking a whole hog next weekend too. (And could also use some tips)

I cook over direct heat on a rotisserie so a little different than most you guys but 275* for 10 hrs will make a hog pull apart tender.

YMMV :cool:

I'll be smoking one in 3 weeks and was wondering ....
275*for 10 hours (estimated of course) will work for us reverse flow guys also?
Is there a foil/rest period?
Skin on, but hair removed right?
I'll have to do mine butterflied. Skin side up or down? ...or maybe flip half way through? (this is probably like a "fat side up or down question" with no real answer)

I was just wondering WWBD :eek:, and would I get arrested for it?

-scott

I'll have to do mine butterflied. Skin side up or down? ...or maybe flip half way through? (this is probably like a "fat side up or down question" with no real answer)

-scott
Scott,

I'm doing one over the 4th of July and you have managed to ask every question I had. Thanks Bro!!!!

-scott

The time should be good for a reverse flow Scott.
No foiling needed, especially on the offset but you may want to go end for end to keep rotating off the hot spot.
I've seen many done butterflied and seems skin down works as far as keeping all the juices close to the meat.

Everyone has their own style but I always start them skin side up. I worked for my cousin who was a caterer and later cooked for Boy Scout troops and churches for fund raisers. We didn't use a thermometer but could tell when they were done by the way the hambone could be moved.We would flip about 2/3 through the cook which usually lasted 10-12 hours. They are much easier to handle if they are split rather than butterflied. Put the skins back on after the meat is done to crispen and you have some good eating. Have cooked 31 split hogs in one night with no complaints from the customers. This can't be done sober.Pain remover is a must.

We had some guys come do ours last year and they cooked it in about 6 hours and it sucked bad. They skinned it and we seasoned it but they cooked it too hot for the shorter time and the meat seemed dry. If it were me, I would have put it on around 10pm. You're really just slicing the meat for the most part. I have heard of people foiling some areas to keep the temp down and the ears from burning.

If you ever watched Myron do a whole hog on FoodTV, he injects that thing completely full.

Good luck guys. I was going to do one but it wont fit in my smoker this year with the size increase.

As a guide I use 10 lbs per hour. I have only done 30 to 40 lbs pigs and the 10 lbs rule works really good for me.

Jules

I heard on the radio yesterday that there are 40 people doing hogs this weekend.
(I didnt know that many entered whole hog at the BabeGlossal)

JamesTX----------When I said to put the skins back on the grill to become crisp I meant after you did whatever you plan to do with the cooked meat. Chop it, pull it, or whatever. My point was that the skins are very good after they get crisp. Some of the skin will be crisp already from cooking the pig. We use a vinegar, salt, red pepper sauce and it is good on the meat and skins.

Maybe this will make what I said a little clearer. You put the skins back on the grill after the meat is removed. Not back on the pig.Chopping some of the crunchy part and mixing it with the chopped meat makes it better. That is if you chop the meat, which is the way I usually serve at least part of the BBQ. I sauce it after it is chopped. There are lots of ways to do it. This has worked for me for over 40 years.

I'd like to say that this thread worked wonders for the brethren this past weekend with 6 of the 10s: :biggrin::mrgreen::eusa_clap

BarbeQlossal Whole Hog:
1 Twyford BBQ & Catering
2 Rollin Smoke BBQ Team
3 Pork Puillin' Plowboys
4 Flower of the Flames
5 Boondoggle BBQ
6 4 Mile Smokin' Crew
7 TheSlabs.Com
8 Smokehouse 72

9 Woody's Smoke Shack
10 Holy & Oly's BBQ
11 A Boy & His BBQ
12 Pork County Barbeque
13 Big Butts BBQ
14 Tex's Style
15 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
16 Four Men and A Pig
17 Harley's Fencing Crew
18 Jack's Old South
19 Meadow Valley BBQ
20 All In BBQ
21 Feeding Frenzy BBQ
22 Smokin' Buddies
23 Harder Beer B Q
24 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
25 Jumpin' Jims BBQ
26 Smokey D's Wannabee's
27 Smokers Purgatory
28 Ponderosa BBQ
29 Florida Skin And Bones
30 Quau
31 If You've Got'Em Smoke'Em
32 Uncle Wendell's BBQ
33 Pair o'Dachs BBQ & Brews
34 Iowa Hawgeyes
35 P.D.T.
36 Pugnacious Porkers
37 Swine Infirenza

I'll tell ya, this is my first whole hog and I am SOOOOO looking forward to it!

Back