Finally read it all..

Well read it all, quite a read started on Tuesday joined last night so I could post today and finished reading today, my UDS is already done I actually found this thread after it was pretty well done off of just some pictures I had seen. I had the lid made for it it has a 2 3/8' OD pipe for an exhaust three 1 1/4" holes with magnets for intake, and a rectangle exp metal box for the lump, two grates, one is 5.5" from top other 10.5" from top.

I did a test burn yesterday and it worked great, ran a little hotter than I would have liked, but I think it was because my charcoal grate was over the 3" recommended height it was at like 4 1/4".

I kno I kno I'll put pics up soon and pics of the two bostons I am doing Sunday, smoker is at work camera is at home which is why I can't add pictures now.

Amen Brother!

Weiser

Buy it and burn it...no need to wait. I didn't even take a wire brush to mine. I burned it, burned it again, and took the burner to it. If all of that didn't get it off, it wasn't coming off at 225.

Hey guys.
Im new to the board and just thought Id jump into the discussion.
I just scored 2 lined food grade barrels that held vegetable oil for $8.00 a peice.
One is for my smoker and one is the neighbors burn barrel.
Anyone know what I can do for a lid?
They didnt come with one..
As soon as I come across some expanded metal, we're gonna start on this bad boy.
:-D

Here under parts. Just hunt a used weber down. I take it they are closed head? Some have ground/cut where it is rolled/crimped and salvaged the lid. Wait if you see the liner it is probably an open head. Remember if you get one do not heat it too much as they warp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#55-gallon-drums/=175x2x

Hey guys.
Im new to the board and just thought Id jump into the discussion.
I just scored 2 lined food grade barrels that held vegetable oil for $8.00 a peice.
One is for my smoker and one is the neighbors burn barrel.
Anyone know what I can do for a lid?
They didnt come with one..
As soon as I come across some expanded metal, we're gonna start on this bad boy.
:-D

I use the lids from old 22 1/2 inch Weber kettles...they fit perfectly! :razz: You might want to loan your neighbor your barrel to burn out that liner for ya too...:lol::lol::lol:

Just started my USD

Did the burn today. Hoping to try the powerwasher vs. crawing in with the drill and steel brush attachment.

No reason to crawl in.
I made this from 3/8" all-thread with a couple of nuts and washers.
Getting to the bottom of the drum was easy.
It is about fourteen inches long.

Weiser

Attachments

• Drum Brush 1.jpg
    Drum Brush 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • Drum Brush 2.jpg
    Drum Brush 2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,259
greetings,

for those who have done the uds, would like to know the following if you had to do it all over:

1) buy a new unlined barrel, make it, drink beer, cook and be done.
2) get a reasonably good barrel, burn it, drink beer, grind it, drink beer, paint it, drink beer, cook and be done.
3) get a marginal barrel of unknown origin, smell it, decide it's ok, burn it, drink beer, grind it, drink beer, paint it, drink beer, cook and be done.

i'm lazy, impatient and want to get this done. however, would like the input of those that have been down this path prior.

cheers.........

New drums are typically @ $80. Make it quick, no mess, no tickets, no hassle's. Way to go in my opinion.

new seems to make more sense to me given i have precious little free time. so now, what source is best? grainger is expensive $130 plus shipping.... any links for new/refurb unlined barrels? i am sure there are some listed in the last 179 pages but having gone through it once, i .... well... am lazy.

cheers....

I bought a new drum from a local supplier and a cheap $39 weber clone from sears. Used a deheader, drilled a few holes and was in business in a couple of hours. Another good source for drums is a livestock feed supplier.

My secret supplier of free lined drums is from a candy factory. I have noticed most places do not return messages. Coca-cola.....bakery.........machine shop............
I would seriously call as a drum recycleing impersonator. Just to find out what they do with their drums.
Most of the time they get a shipment once a month all at once. Use product and crush for scrap. At least around here. I ended up with 24 drums per month for free if i needed that many. I took 7. Clamps lids all included.
Good Luck

My secret supplier of free lined drums is from a candy factory. I have noticed most places do not return messages. Coca-cola.....bakery.........machine shop............
I would seriously call as a drum recycleing impersonator. Just to find out what they do with their drums.
Most of the time they get a shipment once a month all at once. Use product and crush for scrap. At least around here. I ended up with 24 drums per month for free if i needed that many. I took 7. Clamps lids all included.
Good Luck

now that's good....!

"hello, i represent the haul-away empty drum company. i wish to recycle your unwanted drums, barrels or other unused containers for use in recreational food manufacturing. i will arrange for disposal/removal of said items free of charge. at least until i have as many UDS as my neighborhood can tolerate!!"

Back