• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The point and the flat

D

Derrick D

Could somebody lay it out for me I've been cooking brisket for along time but only since i've been here have these terms also i've seen you guys talking about seperating the point from the flat school me please.

The flat is the larger, flat muscle that makes up the brisket. The point is the smaller more heavily marbled muscle that is on one end of the brisket. The two muscles are seperated ny a thick vein of fat called the "deckle" (I believe?).
When you seperate the point from the flat, you need to locate the fat vein, and cut it out, thus seperating the point from the flat.

OK, that's a pretty simplified explanation. I would guess there's a better description that you could find via the search function.

The flat is the larger, flat muscle that makes up the brisket. The point is the smaller more heavily marbled muscle that is on one end of the brisket. The two muscles are seperated ny a thick vein of fat called the "deckle" (I believe?).
When you seperate the point from the flat, you need to locate the fat vein, and cut it out, thus seperating the point from the flat.

OK, that's a pretty simplified explanation. I would guess there's a better description that you could find via the search function.

That is a great description. "Deckle" is a widely used or misused term (some folks call the point the deckle) but it actually refers to the heavy layer of fat and sometimes cartilage that is trimmed off by the packing house. It is on the inside face, (toward the cavity of the steer) the side that is shown in the first picture below is the inside face. The fat side of the brisket is the outside face. The point is forward on the animal. Now most briskets are marked "Whole Brisket - Boneless". Not too long ago you could see them marked "Whole Brisket - Deckle Off".

Could somebody lay it out for me I've been cooking brisket for along time but only since i've been here have these terms also i've seen you guys talking about seperating the point from the flat school me please.

Here is a visual on what Harbormaster is talking about. Here is awhole raw brisket and the next picture shows the point and flat separated after cookin'. In the bottom picture, the flat is on the left.

972645d8.jpg

830e8564.jpg

Don't forget when separating the point and flat the point goes back into the smoker with a little sauce to make burnt ends........hmmmmmm good.

Don't forget when separating the point and flat the point goes back into the smoker with a little sauce to make burnt ends........hmmmmmm good.
Also, if you are separating before you smoke it, make sure that you leave split it so that the fat remains on the flat...

And don't forget fat cap UP always when cooking.

Hehehehehehhehehehe

So how much longer do you leave it in the cooker for burnt ends?

So how much longer do you leave it in the cooker for burnt ends?

Good question, to which I don't have a very good (concise) answer. I've done a bunch of them, and anywhere between two to four extra hours @ 225*/250* seems to do the trick. I reseaon with rub, but don't cube the point until I'm ready to sauce and serve.

Good question, to which I don't have a very good (concise) answer. I've done a bunch of them, and anywhere between two to four extra hours @ 225*/250* seems to do the trick. I reseaon with rub, but don't cube the point until I'm ready to sauce and serve.

Thanks for the info...is there something I look for such as feel or internal temperature to know when they are done...

I generally cut the point and flat apart pre cook and keep the point in til 205. I have never added sauce prior to taking it out, should I? Let it burn in/on a bit. Might try that.

Maybe I haven't been making traditional burnt ends, but they have generally been very moist, tender and good. I like to add more pepper in the rub to the point too.

Thanks for the info...is there something I look for such as feel or internal temperature to know when they are done...

I wish I had some sicence/art answer. I usually pull it off when I'm ready to serve. Also, it goes in on a hot smoker, and if i'm throwing in ribs or chicken I keep up with the temp otherwise it's on its own

I generally cut the point and flat apart pre cook and keep the point in til 205. I have never added sauce prior to taking it out, should I? Let it burn in/on a bit. Might try that.

Maybe I haven't been making traditional burnt ends, but they have generally been very moist, tender and good. I like to add more pepper in the rub to the point too.

When burnt ends are suaced before putting back in the cooker, the point is cubed and put in a pan with the sauce mixed-in.

Last edited:
Back