Made some Pancetta (Italian bacon) lotsa PRON

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Pancetta is basically bacon as we know it rolled up, not smoked, and then dehydrated a little bit to intensify the flavor of the bacon. Typically, you buy it in paper thin pieces. Like bacon, you need to cook it at the end of the process.
Quite often, a recipe will call for 1/4 inch cubes of Pancetta. I don't know where to buy that around here, so I made one.

I found a pretty good pork belly at Whole Foods. It was about 15lbs.

I cut it in half and trimmed it up a bit. One piece will be bacon and one will be Pancetta. Got the ingredients for the cure and seasoning out

Bagged and ready for 7-10 days in the fridge, turning and rubbing every day.

After 8 days in the cure, I removed it, rinsed it off really good and got rid of all the noticeable seasoning. Then I gave the meat side a good slather of fresh pepper and rolled it really tight. Don't want to leave any air left in the middle. This is probably the most difficult part.

Then it went into my temperature and humidity controlled cave which is actually an old fridge with a couple mods so that I can dial in the temp and Relative Humidity. I dialed the temp to 53 and the humidity to 60%. I left it there for 2 weeks to dry slowly. You don't want the outside drying too quickly

After 14 days, here is the beauty

Cooked a little lower than normal bacon. I had to try it!!

Put on a sourdough English muffin, topped with sharp Provolone and a fried egg. Dang that was good!

Dang, Marty, wow! :clap2:

So how did it compare with store bought product?

Dang, Marty, wow! :clap2:

So how did it compare with store bought product?

Kind of hard for me to compare since it has been an age since I last bought some.
It was good and met my expectations..... but ...next time I will get more seasoning into the cure. I'm thinking I will do a heavily seasoned wet cure next time.

I've got to tell you though, that was one great sandwich....

That looks great...hard to come by here and if you do the price makes it out of consideration. Awesome effort!

I would like to know more about the Temp. And humidity controlled cave.

Nice work Marty!

Can you tell me more about those mods with that fridge. I might like to use one of my old ones for the same thing!

Cheers!

Bill

SmokingAussie,

I do some curing as well, but it is difficult to explain. Check out Jason Molinari's blog (http://www.curedmeats.blogspot.com/). He explains everything you'd ever want to know about curing.

David

Nice work Marty!

Can you tell me more about those mods with that fridge. I might like to use one of my old ones for the same thing!

Cheers!

Bill

1. To control the humidity, I first had to run electricity into the fridge. So I mounted a junction box on the outside of the fridge and ran wires straight through where I mounted a handy box with receptacle.
2. I then plugged in a humidity controller that I got from here.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vwr-traceable-humidity-controller-4190.html

3. I then plugged in my ultrasonic humidifier.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-U-31001-1-5-Gallon-Ultrasonic-Humidifier/dp/B009CNHF7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371338922&sr=8-1&keywords=optimus+humidifier"]Amazon.com: Optimus U-31001 1.5-Gallon Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier: Home & Kitchen[/ame]
Now, the fridge is good to go for humidity. Just program the controller.

4. Control the temp. Most fridges don't give you the ability to set a temp above 40 degrees so you need to attach a controller onto the power cord of the fridge to turn it on and off with an external controller. This is what I used.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371339132&sr=8-1&keywords=johnson+temp+controller"]Amazon.com: Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

So you plug the fridge into this and plug the controller into an AC source. You will need to run a small hole in the fridge for the temp probe.

This unit works really well. I am now moving down the path of making cheese as this is a perfect ageing chamber/cave.

Back