Washing up at Competition

DepChief22

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What does everyone use to wash there cutting boards and such at a comp? Does it have to be food grade approved or can it be just any type of Rubbermaid container.

Skip washing cutting boards and get disposables.

We wash utensils in three bus tubs. Wash Rinse and sanitize. Just knives and a few utensils.

We have it down to just a few items that need to be washed. Knives and injectors are the most washed items.
We use disposable cutting boards. and disposable pan liners for our steel steam table pans for rubbing , injecting and holding meats in the cambro. (Hot & Cold)
The Mrs. loves the new way. No dish pan hands at the end of the weekend.
Three bus tub method.

We have it down to just a few items that need to be washed. Knives and injectors are the most washed items.
We use disposable cutting boards. and disposable pan liners for our steel steam table pans for rubbing , injecting and holding meats in the cambro. (Hot & Cold)
The Mrs. loves the new way. No dish pan hands at the end of the weekend.
Three bus tub method.

But does the pans have to be food safe or can it be anything?
The Disposables are a great idea, I all ready got some. But I was just wondering about the rest of the equipment.

We use the grey bus tubs from SAM's. I have never read in the ruls that they need to be foood safe though.

We always try to be as safe as possible with all thing food.

We use the grey bus tubs from SAM's. I have never read in the ruls that they need to be foood safe though.

We always try to be as safe as possible with all thing food.

No question me too. I didn't see anything in the rules about it. I am just getting ready for my first comp and was going to get some but I wanted to get something that was up to par.

Gray bus tubs here, also use the disposable cutting boards.

I advice the larger size in the disposabe cutting boards.

Where do you guys get your pan liners? I really like that idea.

Like these maybe? http://www.webstaurantstore.com/full-size-shallow-ptl-steam-table-pan-liner-200-cs/572PTL3412.html

We usually just rub the meats in a plastic trash bag (non scented!) which then stays in the bag and into the cooler. Sometimes we'll use a sheet of plastic rolled out on a table. Then when done with rub, roll up the plastic and throw away.

The steam pan liners would be great for holding the meat in the cambro though.

Grey tubs from Sams or web would be fine. Just try and get ones big enough that your cutting boards will fit. I got the tubs and boards from websturant. I had to trim the plastic boards down alittle to get them to fit, but it was easy. Just used a skill saw.

I use the disposable ones during the turn in time. Easier and faster to clean up inbetween turn ins. Before that, I wash.

speaking of plastic for tables for quick and easy clean up, though a drop more expensive, we just started using these this season: http://www.kwikcovers.com/kwik-covers

The roll of plastic is cheaper but you need to tape/clamp the rolls onto your table, the rolls are very thin and rip easily, etc

These Kwik covers are fitted so they dont fly off the table with a breeze, and they are a thicker plastic so you can use a wet towel and wipe 'em off. Some people use them over and over, but for $1-$2 a pop (depending on how many at a time you buy) I find them easier to just toss after a competition.

i use freezer paper on the tables when applying the rubs they are wax coated on the back so they don't leak through to the table and then just roll up and throw away.

Joe's disposable boards are great for prep, but I prefer a solid board for cutting cooked meat with an electric knife. The saw can go right through the paper boards!

Disposable EVERYTHING!

.... Well except knives and such.
We always have Clorox wipes and some good cleaner spray too and a butt load of paper towels for the few things that are not disposable.

What things are not cleaned onsite get thrown in the cambro for cleaning at home, but it's usually just a couple hotel pans and a wire cooling rack.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will probably use a little of them all.
Thanks Again

Back