Discuss Pizza Dough

Where are you guys getting these blocks of cake yeast? Is it the kind you crumble straight into the flour? All I can find is ADY and IDY and that just doesn't provide the same flavors I've read as fresh cake yeast does. I'd give a pretty penny to be able to find it in Alabama.

restaurant depot. a pound block is like $1.50.

while not quite as flavorful as say a sourdough starter(which i could never master), it really is much better in taste and performance than dry yeast.

Did you get a good windowpane with the cake flour? I've tried to make one pizza with White Lily which is pretty much cake flour and it just never turned into pizza dough, wasn't strong enough and didn't have the high protein like bread flours do. Please post up your results, I may need to give the ole White Lily again.

With the "no knead" idea generally I'm not sure you would EVER get windowpane dough ?? It was only my second try in recent history, it was "ok" but nothing to rave about, still finding my way :). My dough may have been on the cool side generally. I will try GP flour next time. Next time I think I will try more of a wet mix first (75% of the flour) then work in the remaining 25%.

I found the large block of yeast at a local market that has a lot of bulk foods, if you have a local Amish population (dunno if you have then in New England hehe) find the bulk food stores that cater to them and you will find all kinds of stuff pretty cheap in bulk, spices esp.

Bill

Did you get a good windowpane with the cake flour? I've tried to make one pizza with White Lily which is pretty much cake flour and it just never turned into pizza dough, wasn't strong enough and didn't have the high protein like bread flours do. Please post up your results, I may need to give the ole White Lily again.

i'm playing with a high gluten flour from RD currently, but i had VERY good results
with heckers:

http://www.heckersceresota.com/index.html

With the "no knead" idea generally I'm not sure you would EVER get windowpane dough ?? It was only my second try in recent history, it was "ok" but nothing to rave about, still finding my way :).

I think by the end of the no knead you should be able to get a pretty good windowpane. The act of the yeast slowly working on the rise forms the gluten instead of actually using physical kneading to do it. Also creates less oxidation in the dough too which is supposedly a good thing for getting higher proofing.

Next time try a high protein AP like King Arthur or a bread flour. Makes a world of difference in my breads at least. Good flavor, rise, and browning!

i'm playing with a high gluten flour from RD currently, but i had VERY good results
with heckers:

http://www.heckersceresota.com/index.html

I'm a huge King Arthur flour guy and usually always use their AP and bread flour. I get my best rises and end results from them even though they are slightly higher in price. If I need to save money I'll buy Gold Medal, but honestly with all the effort that goes into good bread and pizza it's really worth the extra $2.50 a bag if you ask me.

I'll have to look up that Heckers though for sure!

i tried KA for pizza. found the heckers to be better suited. at least for the type of dough i've been going for. (NY)

Seems that Hecker's is only a North Eastern product. Shipping prices for me would be cost prohibitive I imagine.

I like my crust a little thicker. I use Recipie for Soft Chewy Pretzels for my pizza Dough.

pizzamaking.com forums are definitely the end all, be all of pizza talk. There is more information there than any one person could possibly process. It's a crazy good learning site if you wanna get good at pizza, or at least try to like I have. LOL.

Buccaneer, this is awesome. I ha e tried a lot of recipes but this is not only easy but ready in 2 hours. The crust was crispy yet had a chew. I cooked mine on the egg. I will tell you don't go past 550 even with the diffuser and a stone. 700 was to hot.

Thanks again buccaneer!

You're welcome brother!
Those that try it are the ones who love it!:thumb:

I did hotter than 550, it just reduced the time to a few minutes.

1. Get a plastic or glass tub, put two packets of dry yeast in.

I plan on trying this over the weekend... I have a jar of yeast - so any clue how much would be 2 packets worth?

Back