• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami rub?

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I can't find the pastrami rub recipe I used last time I made pastrami.
I'm cooking corned beef & cabbage on Sat. & thought I'd smoke a pastrami too.
Can someone help a brother out?

I cooked it a bunch of times and changed the rub as I went until I gigot something that I loved ow I make a load and use it within the month.

It depends on what you are going for. Do you want a more traditional recipe, or something a little out of the box?

I am using Thirdeyes recipe this weekend. I can't decide if I want to use the normal cook method, or try the wet method. Any of you have feedback on which you prefer?

If I cant decide before tonight, I will be back at same buying another corned beef to try both.

I am using Thirdeyes recipe this weekend. I can't decide if I want to use the normal cook method, or try the wet method. Any of you have feedback on which you prefer?

If I cant decide before tonight, I will be back at same buying another corned beef to try both.

Don't forget steaming. Deli's do it this way. I'm not that familiar with it and for me it would take a little jerry-rigging as I only have a tamale steamer and a pasta/seafood steamer with the basket thing.... I'm thinking an empty tuna fish can in the basket with the pastrami sitting on it would allow for enough water without the pastrami sitting in water.

Pressure finish is my favorite, but not everyone has (or is comfortable with using) a pressure cooker... you blow the safety valve on one and there is a lot of dry cleaning involved.

I have used Thirdeye's recipe but just can't get the steaming down. I use a spaghetti cooker with the water on the bottom over the strainer I hang a fine mesh strainer cover and steam. Seems that I'm always boiling out all of the water and burning the bottom of the pot. The fianl product is good, but not like it should be IMHO. So I know it's me.

I have used Thirdeye's recipe but just can't get the steaming down. I use a spaghetti cooker with the water on the bottom over the strainer I hang a fine mesh strainer cover and steam. Seems that I'm always boiling out all of the water and burning the bottom of the pot. The fianl product is good, but not like it should be IMHO. So I know it's me.

I think that is my restriction.... figuring out how to position the pastrami in a plume of steam and not have it sit in water. Are you making a false bottom? What is, and where are you putting this mesh strainer cover?

In my tamale pot I put a couple of pennies in the bottom of the steamer. As long as the water is boiling the pennies clatter.... when the noise stops, the water is getting low.

I use a pot with the water in it. Then I put the strainer in and the mesh strainer on top, then cover. Pastrami goes in the mesh strainer, so it is at least 8" or more from the water. I like the penny idea. Sooner or later we'll all figure this one out.

Thanks,
Jon

Thank you to everyone for the replys. I didn't have a chance to check back here until this morning. I guess I'll try Thirdeyes recipe. I waited til last night to get my corned beef. Guess what? Nobody had any. So I will get it today. Is there a way to rush the rinsing?

... Guess what? Nobody had any. So I will get it today. Is there a way to rush the rinsing?
I've done them with only a quick rinse (not knowing I was supposed to soak it) and was happy with the results. I would just soak it as long as practical and not worry too much about that. Or pick out a couple smaller briskets rather than one big one.

Back