Cookin Myron Mixon's Pork Shoulder

I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?

Probably more of a competition thing than regional.

Emulating Myron's methodology without Myron's equipment is time and labor-intensive. I devoured the book and embarked on his brisket recipe. Best brisket I ever made, but it took me two days to recover after spending 17 hours wrestling my offset. Moved on to pork butt and produced a perfect pan of pulled pork after 9.5 hours. Using foil pans to cook everything in really slows down the process on my cooker. I'm saving up for a cooker like Myron's and hopefully a class.

Emulating Myron's methodology without Myron's equipment is time and labor-intensive. I devoured the book and embarked on his brisket recipe. Best brisket I ever made, but it took me two days to recover after spending 17 hours wrestling my offset. Moved on to pork butt and produced a perfect pan of pulled pork after 9.5 hours. Using foil pans to cook everything in really slows down the process on my cooker. I'm saving up for a cooker like Myron's and hopefully a class.

Understood.

Which cooker are you considering?

:tsk: learn your pit learn to cook where the pit likes to run all that 500 step process BS IMO well aint good BBQ, it is all about the meat and letting it be all that it can be! I traveled down that windy lost road less is definitely more K.I. S.S.

You have to use some common sense and your own taste when using MM's book. I like his rub recipe. His comp brisket and pork butt recipe differs slightly from the recipe in his book. But, either way, use your own sense of taste with them. I have a later version of his book and many of the salt issues have been addressed in it. But, I still use my own taste when following his recipes.

Good luck!

Well I can understand him not spilling all the beans on his secrets in a $20 book, which is marketed more toward the regular BBQ guy. Hardcore BBQ guys and competition guys that take the more expensive class expect a little different twist.

You mentioned "many of the salt issues", are there several? I would like to make corrections in my copy.

I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?

The last butt I cooked at home was the first time I used an injection (Chris Lilly's injection recipe) and I definitely noticed a difference in flavor for the better. I think it was one of the best butts I've ever cooked. Don't know if I'll do it all the time but I think it's worth a shot just to try it out.

Wish they (he) would own up to typos, even if it's just a $20 book.

I was so disgusted with my ribs, I gave my book away.

In his class Myron says of the hog marinade, don't taste it as it is, it is meant to be super concentrated so of course it will not taste right by itself. So yeah it is salty by itself, but should not be so once the final product is cooked. I gotta say, I didn't find the final result to be anything but awesome.

I inject butts. Pork turns out juicier and has another level of flavor to it as well. Worth the little extra time in my opinion.

What do you want MM to do about typos? You think he should own up and I think some common sense or some phone calls would be more fitting. Two cups in five quarts is too much. And another thing to ponder, why do you think alot of us are seen reducing or boiling down injections? To intenisify the flavor! If it tastes good before using,it's too weak to overide the fat being rendered out. To those that don't inject. Try it. Not only will it add moisture and flavor, but you can personalize to suit your tastes. In comps. one won't do well without these tricks. Also when vending, I like my customers to come back wanting more. Not say that was some plain old product. Steve.

I have to admit that after making both the Vinegar and Hickory sauces, and the Hog Glaze that I got a warm funny feeling running up the inside of my leg, good stuff :icon_smile_tongue:

I agree on the salt issue. My copy of the book (V3.1 R2) shows 2 cups of salt in the hog injection which I think is a little much in 5 quarts of liquid. The book has some good recipes, but I use them as building blocks to create my own style at times.

I have a first edition, shows 2 cups salt in the hog injection...

Is there a way to get all the "updates" so I can just write them in?

I love the vinegar sauce and hog glaze. Both very good. Just made a batch of both today to get ready for Super Bowl weekend.

The last butt I cooked at home was the first time I used an injection (Chris Lilly's injection recipe) and I definitely noticed a difference in flavor for the better. I think it was one of the best butts I've ever cooked. Don't know if I'll do it all the time but I think it's worth a shot just to try it out.

And some say Lillie's injection is too salty also.

I have a first edition, shows 2 cups salt in the hog injection...

Is there a way to get all the "updates" so I can just write them in?

Okay, I just dug my copy out.... yeah, 2 cups of salt is heavy.... but what about 5 pounds of sugar and 1 cup of MSG?? Sheesh, does this entire recipe need corrected??

I'm under the impression the typos were fixed and you can tell buy looking at how much salt is in the beef rub.

I'm under the impression the typos were fixed and you can tell buy looking at how much salt is in the beef rub.

I just got the book on Friday fro mAmazon

Mine says 1 tsp kosher salt in the beef rub, which sounds normal

does this mean I have a updated book?

thanks

Back