quick chili help, please!

JohnHB, nothing proprietary in mine. Nopalitos are pickled cactus leaves that can be found on the Latino aisle at a supermarket or at an international food mart. Enjoy.

I agree with you and you should be used as an example. Do you support my comment on trying to avoid proprietary ingredient in a recipe so as to make it universally reproducible?
John

There are 2 basic's for chili and that is chili powder and cumin 2 table spoon of powder and I teaspoon on cumin per pound of meat. From there you can make it your own depending on your taste. The possibilities are endless and most the creations are delightful. Remember to take notes so when you nail it you will be able to see what you did for future pots of chili.

I agree with you and you should be used as an example. Do you support my comment on trying to avoid proprietary ingredient in a recipe so as to make it universally reproducible?
John

Yes, by all means a recipe should be universal. Just be cognizant that some chili recipes were developed for competitions and the creator could care less if it is reproducible (and it some cases purposely so).

John

Hey John,
If you want to produce some great Chili in your neck of the woods. Check out this link. It should keep ya busy for quite a while. Should have lots of ingredients that are availabe in your neck of the woods. Its winter here so chili is one of those warm ya up type foods. Good Luck!

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

I have made my comp chili over and over and over and I''ll bet you that there were not two batches that were the same. Something is always different. It may be close but batch to batch is different. If you can't find some of the products listed in a recipe, then improvise. I use about 6 different recipes and every one was built from another recipe. Hot sauce is hot sauce , which do you like? Tomato juice........Pick a favorite Todd's Dirt.......He's a Brethren and I bet he ships to Australia

I was working on a competition chili recipe for a contest at my country club (that ended up getting cancelled) and really came up with something good. I like my chili but always felt it was missing something. My recipe always relied on good chili powder from penzy's mixed with gebhart chili powder + cumin but something was missing. On a whim, I tried unsweetened cocoa powder. It really filled the gaps in the flavor profile and really complimented the flavors of the chili and cumin. Here is a loose recipe of what I did

3lbs brisket (uncooked. I do not like pre-smoked meat in my chili) cubed 1/4 inch
2lbs pork butt, cubed to 1/4"
Meat was lightly seasoned with Big Ron's chili mix.

Brown the meat in bacon fat in a large skillet. In a large pot, I saute one copped onion and 2 or 3 fine chopped jalepenos inn olive oil. Once the onions are translucent, I add chopped garlic (8 cloves or so). Once the garlic changes color, I turn heat to low and add one can of tomato paste and saute until the tomato past starts to darken a bit. Then I add 2 dark beers (Spaten Octoberfest) to mix. At this point, I put the meat in and filled with beef broth until the liquid is about an inch or so over the meat. At this time, I toss inn my first spice dump, which is:

2 tbs Gebhart Chili Powder
1 tbs Penzy's Ancho Chili Powder
3 tbs Fiesta Brand Pinto Bean Seasoning
1 tbs cumin
1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp mexican oregano
2 tbs Wylers chicken bouillon crystals
1 tbs Wylers beef bouillon crystals
1 packet sauzon Goya (msg - I used the achiote flavor)
1 tbs brown sugar
salt to taste

I simmered for a couple of hours at low medium covered. Keep testing the meat. As soon as the meat begins to get tender, I would make my second spice dump, which was:

1 tbs Penzys ancho chili powder
1 tbs Penzys medium chili powder
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
brown sugar to taste (use to balance the flavors, you do not want your chili sweet)
salt to taste
cayenne to reach desired heat level

Simmer for another 30 minutes. Depending on the state of the chili, now is when you want to thicken. There are a couple ways to do this. I use tortilla crumbs because they are available. They give the chili an earthy taste. you can also use corn masa mixed with hot water. There is a cheat used by competition cooks. They take a can of Ranch Style beans and run them through a food processor then add to the chili. I have done this and continue to do this when the chili is too watery. This also helps round out the flavors.

This is the best chili I have ever made and will be make like this from now on. The unsweetened cocoa really helped out. I strongly suggest you guys try it. Also, I used brisket. I have been using chuck or eye of round roasts cut inn 1/4" pieces. Brisket is better. Also, it is important to use some pork too. Just helps with the overall flavor.

The chili is ready when the meat is close to breaking apart. You still want the chunks intact, but very tender.

All really good recipes above, no doubt. I am familiar with several and over the years have borrowed from a few here and there to help develop my own. All I can add is that my first ingredient always starts with no beans.:tape2::thumb::attention:

I have a friend whose co workers gave him fits several years ago for adding pinto beans to his chili. He loves beans and adds them to everything. So to avoid the ribbing the next time he added a can of bean dip. Same flavor but beans are invisible. Everyone wants, and a few have offered to pay for his "secret" chili recipe. He just laughs. Its ok to know something that no one else knows

Ha! That's beautiful! I suppose refried beans would work well too.

Thanks for the idea.

John

An Old Timer once told me that "Beans in chili are just a cheap substitute for meat".
When I lived in Northern CA, "Chili Beans" were popular... No meat at all. ugh!

MMMMMmmm Frito Pie, That definately doesn't suck.

Enjoy

Tex Mex spaghetti rocks!

I haven't tried that yet, sounds delicious and similar. I grab a small to medium baking dish line the bottom with a 1/4 to 1/3" with cream cheese, add chili top with cheese bring up to temp covered and blast it at the end to crisp it up and serve as a dip using Fritos scoops since the other types just break... I like thick chili. Just a side not use less cream cheese for milder chili and more with hotter chili if you want your friends to help you eat it.. I found out the hard way.. I guess I like spicy

Back