OK Please help! (new smoker build)

gkyork

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi Ya'll, I am lookin for some guidance on building my first smoker. I have a tank from a water heater(30 gal lowboy) for the firebox. My main question is, what to use for a cooking chamber? I am on a fixed income, so finding something from salvage would be ideal, but what to look for? I have some old residential refrigerators, but a welder friend of mine says the metal may not hold up to the heat. Currently, buying enough 1/4 inch steel to build a cook chamber is financially not possible. I want this thing to last a while. Any ideas/ suggestions welcome! :-D

Boiler tank would work. Old air tank. We use propane tanks, but find some one who has cut one before if you do that. Heating oil tank, same warning applys.

Look at the 120gal build in my sig. That's a propane tank and it worked out perfect. just make sure you go through the necessary precautions b4 cutting into it.

Cheers

Depending on how much you want to cook at one time I would say a uds would be the way to go if money is an issue. I have 2 of them and they work great. If you were close to me I'd just donate to ya.

We used a 500 gal propane tank for our build. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358263426.428068.jpg

Free from a local gas company.!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but that is not 500 gallons. What are the dimensions?

+1 build a UDS until you find another tank,

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but that is not 500 gallons. What are the dimensions?

+1 build a UDS until you find another tank,
Looks like a 250 to me. I have a 500 now and just sold a 250 if that was a five it would have to have 3 doors that size or 2 big doors.I don't build or anything but just from looks that my 2 cents.

Looks like a 250 to me. I have a 500 now and just sold a 250 if that was a five it would have to have 3 doors that size or 2 big doors.I don't build or anything but just from looks that my 2 cents.

2nd that is def a 250 or smaller in the pic... still a nice looking Rig!

Here is the 300 gallon I'm in the process of building.

Attachments

• IMAG0399.jpg
    IMAG0399.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 206
OK good info, now- some UDS guidance

Ok Ya'll
A UDS it will be. But I don't particularly want a vertical smoker... What are the Brethren's thoughts on cutting the drum to use horizontally? Cut in half? A 1/4 cut? Which is going to be the most sturdy build? (Based on an online calculator http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html is the link) My 30 gallon fire box will be perfect for a 55 gallon UDS Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Cut a door in her similiar to what is on the 300 gallon cooker pick.. and cut a whole in the bottom end.. attach your firebox.. Throw on some paint.. and season the inside.. and get to QUING!!! :razz:

Ok Any ideas on finding a drum? There is a local petroleum distributor here, but they say nay because of the EPA regs. There is also a cookie bakery here but haven't got a clue who to ask for the barrel(BOO)

So you say you are going to build a UDS, but don't want it vertical. Can I ask why? A UDS is in fact an Upright Drum Smoker, and they run circles around horizontal drum smokers-not the huge and thick tank smokers, but ones made from a drum. Reason is, the drums are just too thin to hold heat with an offset firebox type setup, they leak, and you will play hell trying to keep a fire going consistently let alone maintain temp. Ask me how I know this. The only way I can describe trying to cook Q with an offset is like running a steam locomotive. You know the filthy guy shoveling coal into the firebox? That will be YOU! Build a proper UDS(vertical) and you'll spend a lot less time playing Coal Tender and more time enjoying beers and later, good Q. Not trying to be harsh, just saying I think you'll get the most bang for your buck with a true UDS, and it's worlds easier to run especially if you are new to it all.

My 2c.

OK J-Rod, what are your thoughts on cooking with a UDS for a large family? There are 8 of us, all healthy eaters(grin). Can you double the cook space by stacking grids? To be sure I get it- Heat source bottom(charcoal, I guess) Chips for smoke(next) the cook grids(finally)?
How about temp control? dampers? Things to steer away from(as far as grids), can I use expanded metal?
Far as what I'm cooking, beef or pork roast, Bird(Chicken), and MAYBE ribs Thanks!!

Ok Any ideas on finding a drum? There is a local petroleum distributor here, but they say nay because of the EPA regs. There is also a cookie bakery here but haven't got a clue who to ask for the barrel(BOO)

try craigslist, I have found some cheap. dont buy oil barrels ,stick to food grade barrels that are typically used to transport food syrups and cooking oils.

Sent from Galaxy tab

OK J-Rod, what are your thoughts on cooking with a UDS for a large family? There are 8 of us, all healthy eaters(grin). Can you double the cook space by stacking grids? To be sure I get it- Heat source bottom(charcoal, I guess) Chips for smoke(next) the cook grids(finally)?
How about temp control? dampers? Things to steer away from(as far as grids), can I use expanded metal?
Far as what I'm cooking, beef or pork roast, Bird(Chicken), and MAYBE ribs Thanks!!

Hell yeah you can stack grates! I've got two levels in mine and can fit a lot of food in there. Just make your first level 7-8" below the top and then add a second level 5-6" below that. If you're worried about the stuff on the bottom cooking faster just add a diffuser just above your coal basket. I've never seen the need for one though. As for dampers, use the tried and true ball valve setup, though I recommend one 1-1/4" valve on a tall pipe as opposed to one 3/4" valve and a bunch of capped off 3/4" nipples at the bottom(this setup means bending over!!) Refer to the UDS thread here and you'll get the idea.

As for the grates, use Weber's 22.5" grates with the flip up sides. They fit a 55gal. drum perfectly and allow you to drop in wood chunks/coal as needed. I don't use chips as they go away quickly but instead use chunks, not soaked in water, and dropped right in the coals. Let it go to thin blue smoke and you're ready to rock. Good luck man.

Last edited:
Back