Are these thermometers junk? UDS

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was ready to pull the trigger on a $40 Tel Tru. Then I was thinking about it. I'm going to do a 2.5 inch stem, mounted into the side of a UDS. I can't have the stem longer b/c the charcoal basket will nick it when removing. I do not want to have a removable 10" turkey fry thermometer through a grommet. I want one mounted to the side.

Clearly i'm not expecting a dead accurate temperature reading. This is just for a quick glance from the house to make sure its not at 50 degree or 450 degrees. I'll have digital probes in the UDS as well, which will let me calibrate any thermometer I put in the side and will let me know exact temps if I need them.

I found this on amazon. Anyone ever seen them? 2 for $30 with free shipping. Any thoughts?

51W4Q3JuR5L._SY450_.jpg

My gut tells me "made in China" junk. But I'm wondering if it really matters.

Have a couple river country glow in the dark units on our comp rig. Thy work well but we did have to recalibrate them after towing out to Worthington mn via I90 last year. Really rough and bouncy hiway. Took about ten minutes to tweak them back to reading normally. They ended reading about twenty degrees low after being bounced around for several hours. Notices it when I put the digital temp units in the meat and hooked up the grate level probes.

I found similar looking ones, two for about $12, on Ebay, within the past six months. I bought them, and they work fine.

A lot of therm others of that type can be calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one for my mini WSM. My Maverick read 255. This thing read 200. Put it in my 22.5" WSM. Same problem. I'm throwing it away as soon as my Tel Tru shows up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought two, cheap, Chinese made thermometers for a mod I did to my WSMs, the pair was $20.58, delivered.

They passed a boiling water test, and after 3 or 4 cooks, are still working fine.

The ones I bought.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R76AHK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: F&C 2" Barbecues BBQ SMOKER PIT GRILL THERMOMETER TEMP GAUGE: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

On my WSM.
http://imageshack.us/a/img204/584/thermometer04.jpg

Last edited:
The problem I have had with most in drum thermos is that you really need to keep them clean. Like with steel wool. Apparently the patina that gets on the needle doesn't conduct heat as well or something ?? So, they work great the first 4 cooks and then start to wander until you clean them.

........... I do not want to have a removable 10" turkey fry thermometer through a grommet. I want one mounted to the side.
My gut tells me "made in China" junk. But I'm wondering if it really matters.

Looks like you made up your mind of what you DON"T want, then there is no need to tell you why and how to install a thermo that will give consistent curate readings is there.?

Back