De-boned butts cook time versus bone-ion?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven't cooked deboned shoulders in a while. As I recall it may take a bit longer per pound than bone-in due to the lack of radiant heat from the bone.

Anyone have a rule of thumb for this?

Also, I'm cooking 11-14 pound briskets in addition to the 6-7 pound shoulders. Would you put the briskets on before the shoulders or just cook them in the hotter part of the smoker?

I've got over a hundred pounds to cook for tomorrow so I'm dotting my i's and crossing my t's for it to turn out good!

Thanks all.

Hey J, Yep it may take longer without the bone, 190,5 ish and their done.Time is the key, low slow or hot fast for the briskets, they may be real close in time and temp given the LB factor, I no expert would put them on and rotate, temp check , being careful not to dry out the briskets, they dont have the fat like the porky,

I didn't adjust time for boneless and didn't have any issues. I'd get the briskets on first and put the butts to the hotter part of the fire since I think they are more forgiving.

I've not noticed a significant difference in cook times between bone in and boneless butts.

Back