rib tenderness question

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hi guys, i also have a question about my rib scores, but didn't want to hijack.

last contest out i received 2 6's and a 5 on tenderness with ribs that bit like this:

View attachment 66183

seems about right to me. am i missing something? could they be TOO tender?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
no, but i cook them exactly the same every time. i've practiced 100 competiton racks at least in the last year. results are currently very consistent. tendernesswise anyway. this particular rack i sauced twice. not so good.

Could be dry. That seriously impacts tenderness. Did you take that bite 15 minutes after turnin or at turnin? The wait time makes a big difference. Need to cut and let it sit.

yup, i practice and eat just like at a comp. slice, tent for 20 minutes, let sit out for 5, and then eat.

i didn't think it was dry, does it look it?

hmmm, maybe the ones i put in the box were.

I think you need a larger data set. One competition and three judges doesn't make for a problem.

Since you asked, it looks dry and overcooked to me. Top of the rib looks like that jerky type of texture that I hate in a rib.

I don't really think it looks dry in the pic but why did you bite the end and not the middle? Also no way for us to tell how hard you bit in to the meat or any other factor that would say it is overcooked. The rib does look a little thin.

bite is very soft. comes right off the bone. it was thin, it was from the thinner side of the rack.

dunno, looked like the best bit to bite. :becky:

I have always wanted to send a box to KCBS judges of nothing but bones... actually one of those rib bones people eat and don't eat all of it...throwing away a bone that obviously looks like someone sucked on it... maybe about six of them... maybe a few with lipstick marks on them..oh yeah.... and a great big ole bloody severed finger sticking up.... like someone poked their shooting finger through the bottom of the styrofoam...

oh wait... set on a bed of fresh grass clippings with a hint of dog ****.... and spelled out (marked) on the opening top of the box the words...

"**** KCBS!" signed IBCA

I distinctly had a plan but I was not strong enough to get a gorillas finger off and the local junior High wood shop trash can was void of any fingers that day.... well... I simply could not make the thumb I found look like a finger anyway.

I have always wanted to send a box to KCBS judges of nothing but bones... actually one of those rib bones people eat and don't eat all of it...throwing away a bone that obviously looks like someone sucked on it... maybe about six of them... maybe a few with lipstick marks on them..oh yeah.... and a great big ole bloody severed finger sticking up.... like someone poked their shooting finger through the bottom of the styrofoam...

oh wait... set on a bed of fresh grass clippings with a hint of dog ****.... and spelled out (marked) on the opening top of the box the words...

"**** KCBS!" signed IBCA

barbafunkoramaque??? is that you???

I don't really think it looks dry in the pic but why did you bite the end and not the middle? Also no way for us to tell how hard you bit in to the meat or any other factor that would say it is overcooked. The rib does look a little thin.

Soft as in fell off in your mouth or had to actually bite it off of the bone but it still pulled clean?

Yup looks overcooked on the side. Trust me, I have farked up ribs my last two comps:oops:

overcooked to KCBS judging standards or tasty rib standards?

i know the goal(KCBS standards)but curious.

and sorry to hear about your farked ribs.

Last edited:
Back