Need help with canopy selection

didisea

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Caravan canopies has 4 different models to choose from. Does anyone have advice on which one is the best? The 4 models are:
Classic
Aluma shade
Display shade
Traveler

Thanks!

i have the steel frame model. it withstood a very wild northeast storm.

i went looking for the caravan at costco and they didnt carry it anymore... so i got this one.

i still have my caravan 10x10, but Im on the second cover. It seems when they get too wet, they stretch out, start pooling in the corners and after that, your spending time emptying the roof out.

I have a "Display Shade" with the steel frame and it's really durable.

I just did research on all tents, and went with Undercover. So far, I love them! I just became a dealer for them, so PM me if you have any questions.

i went looking for the caravan at costco and they didnt carry it anymore... so i got this one.

i still have my caravan 10x10, but Im on the second cover. It seems when they get too wet, they stretch out, start pooling in the corners and after that, your spending time emptying the roof out.

phil, don't they all do that more or less unless you move up in price point significantly?

i have not had the problem with the new one.. it has adjusters on the center struts that tighten up the canopy. They are big adjustable poles that as you tighten then, push the center of the canopy up, which tightens up the corners.

damn. i must have an older one, even though it's only 1 year old.

always thought it should have some sort of tensioner.

They call it a peak extender. it's on the undercover brand I don't believe caravan has it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Diane-
I have an Aluma Shade I got at Costco @5 years ago, and two others that are steel frames. The AS is significantly lighter in weight than the steel frames.

One of the steel frame Caravans had a couple broken struts, and when I called Caravan for replacements they asked what color they were? I assumed they are all white, but they color code them, one has blue specs and the other brown in the white, not sure if it has to do with models or age of the frames?

But long story short- Canopies by Fred in Ballard hooked me up with replacements, and he stocks all the Caravan models and makes the weight bags we all love here in PNWBALand!

http://www.canopiesbyfred.com/

Wow, I just purchased a canopy from costco.com and when it arrived it was a caravan. I guess they are closing them out.

They call it a peak extender. it's on the undercover brand I don't believe caravan has it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

after doing some research it looks like it is a standard feature on the upper model caravans. i bought the displayshade(lower model). :doh:

I got one of these for free from my work. They're not cheap and kinda bulky to haul, not as easy as the EZ-Up styles, but we used it this past weekend at a comp when thunderstorms were forecasted and were NOT worried. Only took about 10 minutes to put up & take down.

That is what I have been using for the past 5 years. You are correct about it being tough. I have been in some bad storms and it has held up when others went flying. On the negative side, it is heavy and bulky to transport. For that reason, I have been considering one of the EZ-Up styles.

I got one of these for free from my work. They're not cheap and kinda bulky to haul, not as easy as the EZ-Up styles, but we used it this past weekend at a comp when thunderstorms were forecasted and were NOT worried. Only took about 10 minutes to put up & take down.

Has anyone tried to Shelter Logic brand? I'm not a competition cooker, so I would only use mine about 2-3x a year and don't really want to spend $1k on a 10x20 canopy.

Back