Pork Belly

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Where do you all buy your pork bellies from? The meat markets here want me to get a case. I don't think the better half will like it if I do 60 lbs of bacon at once.

Try an Asian or Hispanic market with a butcher counter....or you could try buck board bacon...

By the case here too. They're packed 3/case so I freeze the one(s) I'm not going to cure. Wrap them with plastic wrap, freezer wrap and then in a plastic bag for good measure. Cheers!!!

my asian/mexican store calls their pork belly that has been cut up into managable sizes "side". so look for side pork.

Had to search hard for a local mom and pop butcher and pain $5 per pound. YIKES!

I get mine by the case... :becky::thumb:

Berkshire pork bellies from the Butcher Shop Cafe, IBP bellies from H Mart.

Berkshire pork bellies from the Butcher Shop Cafe, IBP bellies from H Mart.

Berkshire pork makes poor bacon. IMHO, stick with IDP or other commodity belly.

No reason to use heritage pork for cured products. I even tried mangalitsa ham and wasn't impressed.

Berkshire pork makes poor bacon. IMHO, stick with IDP or other commodity belly.

No reason to use heritage pork for cured products. I even tried mangalitsa ham and wasn't impressed.

John, can you elaborate? I've eaten a lot of cured products and there is a lot to starting off with a good product. Of course you can still drive a Mercedes into a tree. I know from the products in Spain that I can distinguish different breeds and their diets and I'd have to say these factors are critical. I don't know if what you're saying just pertains to Berkshire pork or to American-style bacon.

Gore: My comment was based on personal experience and preference.

When I buy heritage pork bellies, they sell for a considerable premium over commodity pork.

IE: I can get commodity belies at 1.99/lb while heritage bellies cost me 5-6/lb +

So I have I ask myself, is bacon made from heritage pork three times better than bacon made from commodity pork.

The answer to date has always been; NO.

When I properly cure and smoke bacon, I have found that while heritage pork can provide a slightly better end product, it is by no means three times better.

If I am purchasing pork belly for something other than curing I will certainly look for the heritage pasture raised pork, but if I am curing it, that's not the case.

Back