The Rub Co.'s Santa Maria Style Strip

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, that 8.75 lb choice strip wound up being cut up into steaks. It made 8 1 1/2" thick 16 oz steaks with one odd shaped end piece that weiged about 12 oz. Used the Food Saver to vaccu seal 6 of them for later meals and into the freezer. Two of them and the odd one were grilled last night rubbed generously with The Rub Co.'s Santa Maria Style. These went into the frige for about three hours then brought back out when I started prepping the kettle. Redhot prepared some fresh asparagus with evoo, salt and cracked black pepper. There was also a head of bok choy that neede to be cooked so she chopped that up as well. The asparagus was grilled and the bok choy was sauteed in a pan with evoo, s & p and crushed red pepper.

The kettle was dialed in at 350 using Kingsford Comp and a couple chunks of hickory for smoke. The steaks were grilled indirectly to 120 IT and reversed seared for a minute or so each side. The odd piece was just grilled directly. These were pretty good! They came out medium rare and were very tender with a good beefy flavor.

Also deep fried some steak fries (For me, Redhot declined...:becky:)
I've still gotta clean the stove from the fries getting a wee bit excited and the pot overflowed...

Here's some pics:

The cut steaks and the rub

sliced-13.jpg

freezerfare-1.jpg

fortonight-1.jpg

Shameless Plug...

therub-2.jpg

Rubbed
rubbed-9.jpg

After the indirect and on to the reverse sear

grillin-5.jpg

Flipped...

flip.jpg

Rested...

beef-1.jpg

The asparagus...

asparagus.jpg

Plated and a close up...

plate-9.jpg

yum-1.jpg

We ate pretty good at Casa de-Redhot last night.:becky:

Thanks for looking!

That's a pretty steak right there...and a pretty plate. Nice job!!

Two questions:
1. Was it as good as a Ribeye?
2. Steak and eggs for breakfast with the odd one?:-D

That's a pretty steak right there...and a pretty plate. Nice job!!

Two questions:
1. Was it as good as a Ribeye?
2. Steak and eggs for breakfast with the odd one?:-D

Very close but I still prefer Ribeye. At 5.49/lb in the cryovac I could not pass these up.:becky:

Actually the little one was Michele's steak, as it was a little closer to rare and just the right size. :thumb:

Still have a whole one left for something tonight...steak wraps maybe.

Forgot to add...the reverse sear is now going to be my go to method for cooking thick steaks. There were some very interesting threads on the subject but it was a comment by Moose that really struck me so thanks Moose!

That is some my-T-fine looking grub-age there! I sure would like to take a nice big bite of that steak please..... :hungry:Since discovering the Santa Maria rubs, I am in love. I used to use Montreal as my go to for steak but this stuff just goes above and beyond the call of duty!!! I haven't used the Rub Co. brand but Mike's over at Oakridgebbq is to die for!!

Great prOn man, mama must have been so happy with that supper!!

I rarely buy that cut but might have to try it again next time I'm at the store. Those strips look great! :thumb:

Looks great Guerre. I've got some extra room in my freezer if you can't fit all those in yours.

Beautiful work.

How long did you cook the asparagus?

Can you explain reverse sear please. Thanks

Guerry, those strips and veggies look great! When I first tried the Rub Co products, I was a little taken aback by how coarse the rubs were, but quickly became a convert, as they caramelize beautifully. I actually like to combine them sometimes - usually Santa Maria and BBQ create a nice blend.

Happy to see you are becoming a reverse sear convert. :clap2:

looks great brother nice job, I do the same with my strips also buy the loin and hand cut my steaks

Beautiful work.

How long did you cook the asparagus?

Can you explain reverse sear please. Thanks

Reverse searing refers to the method of cooking meat indirect for the majority of the cook, then when it's near done, finishing with a sear over high heat. Reverse searing will give you a much more evenly cooked piece of meat while also retaining a higher percentage of moisture.

The sear at the end is really cosmetic and textural, as it's really not necessary, but it does look good and adds a nice "crust" to the meat.

Back