What say all of you about this box?

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I did my first sudo comp a few weeks back and I was wondering if there is anything that you can see that I may be able to improve upon with my box. The event was a small festival and there were only 4 teams total. However the judging was done using KCBS rules. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317177891.910459.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317177891.910459.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 466
A few things that I noticed... for KCBS you need 6 pieces also they look a little dark and dry. On the up side they do look fairly uniform in size. Good work for your first box!

I would have to agree they are a little dark and the first thing I noticed is that there were only four pieces. I don't know how many samples they required so if they only required four I would either place more in the box or try and fill in spaces with parsley. Try and spread the sauce out more evenly. I will say it looks much better than my first box or second for that matter.
I just looked back a pics of my first and second and they were darker and they didn't even look like they had sauce on them.

Try to do your garnish so the meat sits on the garnish, not in it.

It's a bit of work, but when using leaf lettuce just use the outer inch of the leaf and create 'florets', trimming them to be the same height and pack them in the box. A third hand to hold the 'florets' in the box is helpful.

Overall, not bad. I'd give it a six as is.

I'd echo the others who've said they're too dark. Also the sauce should be more even (perhaps a little thinner?) I use a fine-bristled pastry brush on mine.

Also echo the six versus four comment. KCBS requires six separate portions. I think if there were six thighs in there, the garnish would be less of an issue. But I also agree that your meat should sit on top of the garnish and not be "nestled in". That's the one benefit I see to a "putting green" style garnish bed.

On a personal note, though I don't score down for it, the thing I really hate about putting greens - from a judges standpoint - is that I ALWAYS have to take a few seconds to "defoliate" the entry. You just can't get a rib, thigh or brisket slice out of a putting green without taking several pieces of parsley along with it. By the end of a competition, I usually have enough parsley piled up to make my own putting green. :doh:

Just let your garnish be a nice green background for the meat and you should be good to go.

Main things I would say with not knowing how many pieces you needed to turn in are too dark,uneven saucing, thick sauce and the garnish seemed higher on one side than the other still a solid 6 in appearance.

I would also give this entry a 6 on appearance, as the chicken looks a bit dark, the sauce isn't evenly spread over the pieces, the upper left thigh skin is not covering all the meat, and the pieces are sitting down in the foliage (which detracts from the appeal of the meat).
I also agree that for KCBS there needs to be AT LEAST 6 pieces in the box to judge.

Chad ........they are going easy on u with a 6....
has to be 6 portions. I have seen 4 thighs and two drumsticks...for example kcbs = 1

Chad - Welcome to the wonderful world of BBQ. Its a bitch but we all love it anyway. Most of this has been said but here is my advise anyway.

Use parsley.
Trim thighs so they are all close to the same size and shape.
Make sure skin covers the meat.
Sauce evenly.
Try for more of a red colored sauce. Dark brown doesn't typically do as well on chicken.
Do your best to position the garnish and chicken as neatly as possible in the box.

The most important advise I can give you is TAKE A CLASS!!! Anything you can do to reduce the learning curve is essential. Yes classes cost money but the walks you will take because of them will make your money back.

Good luck!

skin shrunk up badly on the pieces from the looks of it. Too dark as well. And the garnish overwhelms the meat. 6 at most for me.

Thanks Everyone for the comments. Sorry It took so long to get back to my post, But this whole work thing is getting in the way of important Q stuff.
I know that KCBS says at least six pieces but since the event was very small, we were only required to turn in four pieces (one for each judge.)

I kind of thought they were a little dark too, but never doing this before I ran with it. They may have looked dry but they definitely were not, they were very juicy still.
I have never seen a turn in box other than on tv so I tried to copy what I have seen. I thought my box looked pretty good; however, it is great to see it through all of your eyes. As I was reading the comments I was having some DUH moments, thinking that I should have done a better job. Oh well there is always next time!
Thanks again everyone.

@ Ryan Chester

I took a class here locally to learn how to trim, but I am not sure that I was taught everything that I needed to know. Seems like the class was more of a reason for guys to tie one on, than cook comp.
I dont know of any classes around me for any Q stuff, but if I can find another class that is more comprehensive then I will hit that one up too.

Try to do your garnish so the meat sits on the garnish, not in it.

It's a bit of work, but when using leaf lettuce just use the outer inch of the leaf and create 'florets', trimming them to be the same height and pack them in the box. A third hand to hold the 'florets' in the box is helpful.

is this like a lettuce putting green? do you have any photos that you're willing to post?

DSC_0072.jpg

Back