Boston Roast on a ECB... Have a few questions

Rys06TBSS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I plan on cooking up a this little guy on Sunday
2011-04-14_13-27-27_20.jpg
What is the recommended cook time with this? Hour a pound? Also how you recommend I prepare it? Also how should I serve it? Shredded?

I assume that it's a boston butt?
If that's so, just do it up like "normal". Rub it, inject if you want (though I don't, but that's me), fill the water pan, minion method on your firepan put the ECB together and let it ride. Run the ECB at 225-235. Use 2-3 smoke wood chunks spread throughout your charcoal for light smoking throughout the cook.

I know it's frustrating to hear, but.....it's done only when it's done. Period. A general rule has been said 1 to 1.5 hours per pound, but that's only a starting point. It may stall out at 155 degrees for 2 or 3 hours and then there goes the general rule. It will be done when a probe enters the roast with very little resisitance (or "like buttah"). If the probe fights you, you could still eat it, but leave it be.

Pull it apart, mix the bark into the shreds and serve it up.

THAT, my friend, is pulled pork!:thumb:

I second Wampus' motion. He has never steered me wrong. The frustrating thing for a weekend BBQer is that until you get a sense of times (and even then it could be wrong), you just have to play it by ear. If it gets done early, wrap it and get it into a warm cooler.

I know its done when its done, but I was just trying to get a general idea. Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any reason I couldnt just slice it up?

Start it early or you might be ordering pizza :p I'd budget 2 hours a pound for your first run at it. No shame in finishing in the oven either.

You can slice it if you like, although then you'll want to pull it off the cooker earlier so its a little firmer. I taking it to 200 degrees and shredding it personally.

Start it early or you might be ordering pizza :p I'd budget 2 hours a pound for your first run at it. No shame in finishing in the oven either.

You can slice it if you like, although then you'll want to pull it off the cooker earlier so its a little firmer. I taking it to 200 degrees and shredding it personally.

LOL. I guess your right with the pizza then. So your thinking 12 hours for this thing huh? Ill give it a shot shreading it too then.

LOL. I guess your right with the pizza then. So your thinking 12 hours for this thing huh? Ill give it a shot shreading it too then.
It probably won't take two hours a pound, but you can always wrap it up and put it in the cooler for a while to hold it til dinner time. Besides you get a little extra wiggle room if its taking you longer to get your fire going or meat trimmed, etc.

Ok so I should have this cooking by 10 AM if I want to eat by 6? I think Ill roll with that. Also, any recommened sides? I would like to try an smoke a side as well.

Yes, a slaw, and you can smoke some Small Yukon Gold potatoes while the roast is going (just coat the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt- don't wrap them) til done and make your favorite potato salad.

Personally, if you WANT to slice it, that timing makes sense. It'll be safe to eat at 160 (pork), but not as tender. Slicing: I've not done this, but I'd guess pull at maybe....180? Taking it higher or to "probe tender" will make it tough to slice as it will want to fall apart (not necessarily a BAD thing....that's pulled/shredded).

I would recommend putting the roast on earlier than 10 if you planning dinner at 6. That MAY work out, but I'd bet on it being real close and after 6 is NOT an unreasonable possibility.

I'd get up and get it on at 8 to be safe. I know it's only a little more than 6 lbs, but it may still take a good while to render away the connective tissue. You can always wrap it with foil and towels and put it in a small cooler to hold it. I've seen pork shoulder hold in a cooler for 7 hours and you still couldn't touch it bare handed. As I recall it was still around 150 internal.

Smoked sides you say? Baked beans (even out of the can) are great on the smoker for hours. Just keep stirring them as you check your meat here and there. Mac & cheese....mmmmmmm.

Good luck man! Let us know how it turns out!

Hum.. Thats not going to be fun if I have to refill the coals. I havnt tried a long burn with this thing yet. The most I have run for is about 5 hours but I did have enough coals left for smores... and when i left for work at 630 am it was still kinda warm. Ill keep ya posted on how it goes. I think Im going to inject it too.

My last butt was about a 6 lb'er and it took about 10 !/2 hours at around 235F average cooking temp. Then I had to rest it. I had 2 stalls during that cook.

Hum.. Thats not going to be fun if I have to refill the coals. I havnt tried a long burn with this thing yet. The most I have run for is about 5 hours but I did have enough coals left for smores... and when i left for work at 630 am it was still kinda warm. Ill keep ya posted on how it goes. I think Im going to inject it too.

What kind of ECB do you have? Any modifications on it?
My ECB (and I'm sure Brethren get tired of hearing this.....:becky:) has run for 12 hours + without adding coals. Are you familiar with the minion method?

See here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

You shouldn't have a problem running that baby on a long cook, unless it's "stock". is it a Gourmet Brinkmann? A Cajun Cooker? Whatcha got?

I've done lots of port butts on my ecb Brinkmann Gourmet, and have never had to add more fuel.

One other thing to consider with your cook schedule, it's been my experience that the end product is much nicer if you let the roast rest for at least 2 hours after it's cooked, to allow the moisture to redistribute.

But that adds more TIME to your cook. If it were me, I'd be out there lighting the chimney at 5:00 am in hopes of having everything purring at 6:00 am. Say the butt takes 10 hours , which is a good guestimate, it's done at 4 pm, you rest it for 1.5 hours, then go to pull it and you'll burn the *%#@ out of your hands trying to rush it all to the table. That's a pretty tight schedule.

You could always try to maintain a higher temp, like 275, that'll speed up the process, and I've always had great results with butts at that temp. For a typical 7.5 to 8 lb butt, I can usually get 'em done in around 9 hours, but I start low for first couple hours, then ramp up heat to 300ish till done.

My serving styles & approximate cooking temps:

Pulled ......... around 200*
Shaved ....... around 175*
Chopped...... around 185*

As for sides you can never go wrong with the classics....

baked beans
mac & cheese
tater salad
and never forget the slaw

What kind of ECB do you have? Any modifications on it?
My ECB (and I'm sure Brethren get tired of hearing this.....:becky:) has run for 12 hours + without adding coals. Are you familiar with the minion method?

See here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

You shouldn't have a problem running that baby on a long cook, unless it's "stock". is it a Gourmet Brinkmann? A Cajun Cooker? Whatcha got?

I have a smoke and grill... Its got a Electric Gourmet Lava Rock pan for a base. That has 3 intakes in it. The lid has 4 exhaust holes.

I also forgot that I have turkey legs that need to get done up too. I apologize for all the really BAD grammar that I have been using. Im not usually that bad.

Hmmmmm......you have 2 cooking grates on that Smoke 'N' Grill? Not real familiar with that model.

If so, I'd put the turkey legs on later and on the bottom grate (if you have a bottom grate that is). My ECB usually has a hotter temp at the bottom grate. Poultry usually does fine (better actually) at a little higher temp than the typical "low 'n' slow". Just probe one of the legs to make sure you know when they're getting done. I've never done turkey legs by themselves before, but if I had to guess I'd say they'd take a couple of hours (at 225-250 that is). I always do poultry at around 325-250, so I'm guessing really.

I had very good success with the top rack on the legs. I usually let them go for about 4-6. Anyhow yes the Smoke 'N' Grill has two racks. I really dont want to mess around with pulling the Butt off the grill. Ill try all on the one rack, but Ill add them around noon ish. Im starting to get pumped about this. Sunday cant come soon enough!!

Back