View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default What I know about briskets

You want a little something? Here's what I do, minus the injection recipe.

I buy two Certified Angus whole Briskets. Big ones, at least 12 lbs and 15 is better. Learn the packing date if you can and age them in the cryovac for 50 days. They must be held in a cold frig. The temp needs to be about 38f. Your kitchen frig with the family opening it won't work. Your garage beer frig will if you don't open the door too often and you keep it cold.
The cryovac or shrink wrap from the factory must remain tight and sealed. If you see that air has gotten in you must cook it or frreze it within a couple days.

The day you plan to cook, take the briskets out trim anything that doesn't seem to belong. I leave the whole fat cap in place. Inject them with about 12oz each of a beefy injection recipe. Then sprinkle lightly with cayenne, and heavily with rub, black pepper and turbinado sugar. My rub is very mild. You might want to skip the peppers but don't skip the turbinado sugar. I don't bother rubbing the fat cap. Cover and put back in the frig for a few hours and up to 8.

I use two large Big Green Eggs with plate setters to act as deflectors. I prepare the cookers using lump charcoal with 2 parts cherry and one part hickory chips mixed in with the charcoal. I don't use very much wood. I'd bet you guys all use more than I do. They will run at 250f at the temp gauge location. I think it's close to 225 at the grate.

Because the radiant heat comes from the bottom in my cookers I cook the briskets fat side DOWN the whole time.

Here's the deal. Beef brisket begins to break down at 160 and it begins to dry out severely at 180. (Charlie Knote- BBQ and Sausage Making SECRETS) If you can keep the brisket at 175 for the whole time it will get tender and not dry out. This is almost impossible to do so here's what I do. It's a common practice but I don't think most cooks understand what is happening. Take the brisket slowly to 190, about 12-14 hours on my eggs. Take it off the heat and wrap in foil with the fat now UP.

Put the briskets in an empty ice chest and rest them for 4-6 hours. They will stay in that desired range for a very long time on the way down without the drying effects of the fire.

Seperate the flat and point. Trim all the fat and slice the flat and chop the point. You'll find that the point is done completely and falling apart. The flat should be tender but sliceable.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote