Brisket Injection

royfraz

Reaction score
I have a new WSM waiting on me when I get home from out of town and seriously want to fire it up this weekend. I have seen folks talk about the butcher injection, but don't have time to order it and have it get here in time, and I really want to do a 4hr. brisket out of curiousity. Are any of the Injections you can get at a academy worth a darn just to try, or does anybody have a easy recipe to make my own. Should I buy one of those gigantic syrenges that you use for a turkey so you don't constantly get stuff clogging it.

Thanks,
Roy

I've never seen an injection available at Academy. If you are set on injecting, I'd go with a no sodium beef broth and add some of the rub you intend to use as long as it doesn't have too much sodium in it. Simmer that for a while so that the flavors blend. If your rub has a lot of stuff that could clog a needle I'd strain using cheesecloth.

Let us know how everything works out, no matter what you do.

Edit: Be careful pumping that thing up. Cooking hot and fast, you can blow it up(almost literally) if you inject too much into it. Ask Phil about my brisket at a contest where we later found out that we were cooking a little hotter than we thought:laugh:

The Moore's Marinade at Academy is pretty darn good. I have injected into chickens.

i have used butchers brisket and pork marinades and they work great. i will be using them this weekend in a comp.

if you order from kosmo q today, there is a good chance it'll be at you by saturday. they ship super quick.

At home I make a "tea" out of beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder and whatever rub and I going to use on the out side. I heat the broth and seasonings to just below boiling and then let it all steep for a few minutes and then cool and strain out the bits.

sounds good do you usually use a big gigantic turkey needle or just some smaller ones and shoot it quite a few more times. How much seasoning do you mix in with the beef broth

I use one of the boxes of broth (32 oz) and add about a tablespoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of rub. That is more than enough for two 12 - 15 lb briskets.

I use a product called Better Than Bouillon. Think It's national. A very thick paste that you thin with water. Works great for almost anything. Lasts in the fridge forever.

I do not like a turkey baster for injecting, go to a kitchen store and invest in a good one. Injecting is good!

Back