CT Cook Off 8-7-04

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Starting a new thread for the commentary!

So, anybody got an update from Connecticut??

They should be set up by now and if done with the inspection, should be prepping away getting everything rubbed and brined and such.

Talked to the crew yesterday for a little bit. They were off to find a home depot and buy more wood. Phil realised when he got there that he had not brought enough wood.Turn in for them should start in about an hour so I'll bet he is pretty frantic right about now.

Hell of a job for the "26th" team! To think you almost didn't get in at all, then end up 4th overall is one hell of an accomplishment!

I'm so proud and happy for Phil, Josh, and Jackie, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job!

Sure hope Tim and my chicken is that BAD in October! :D

Home from the CT Cookoff

First of all , congrats to Phil and team. Excellent for your first KCBS contest.

From my perspective as Contest Organizer, things went fairly smoothly and I doubt the teams were even aware of the glitches. Mostly I got to just hang out with the teams on Saturday. There were a lot of new teams and it was a lot of fun getting acquainted with them.

The health and fire inspections by town officials were a little tough, but everyone passed. Things were a lot tougher than last year, which caught me and the teams by surprise. Things got a little hairy when two teams hadn't showed up by the time the inspectors were getting ready to leave. They arrived just in time to make it under the wire. No inspection, no compete. I'll have to stress that a bit more next year.

Judges meeting at 11:00 on Sunday - four no-shows. I had two alternates, and Linda and I filled the two other slots. I didn't get to hang out on Sunday.

No bottled water for the judges at 11:30. Panicked call to the Festival Organizer who was supposed to supply it. It showed up about ten minutes later. All is cool with the world.

No disqualifications. Scores still all over the place because of this year's changes to the judges instructions. A lot of new teams got called and took something home.

Jim

I don't know if Phil heard this but as he was walking up to take the well deserved trophy for chicken, his daughter turned to another girl, who I assume is also his daughter and said as she hugged her, "Daddy DID IT! We're going to Tennessee!" She was bursting with pride!

Congratulations to Phil, Josh, and Jackie! You guys smoke! You make your family proud!

^5

Congrats guys and Lil' Lady for making all us other Brethren proud.

~doing homework and taking names

peace
mike in VA

Nope! Jackie is the daughter, James is the son, Sharon is the mom that looks like Phil robbed the cradle! I think the procedure is that Jackie never leaves the house without her posse!! :D

It's great seeing the kids getting excited about the Que competitions.

Congratulations Guys!

Two firsts in Chicken--You got the "Chicken Mo-Jo" going.

I am sure David will come up with winning "Thunder Thighs" for us in Mulberry!

You are a tough act to follow :lol:

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!
TIM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! well you might have heard about the weekend successes of the CT BBQ Team... here is the team with the new hardware...

excellent quote...

Sharon... in response to the chicken... "This tastes like POOPIE!"... that one sure made phils day... I was the only one in the group to like it...

what an awesome experience... we should all be so lucky to have a stress free mentor like phil!!! :)

to add to what JMcgrath said... if it wasnt for a neighbor with an extra fire extinguisher... we'd have been running out with a vengance to find a home depot... MAKE A CHECKLIST of MUST HAVES if you compete... phil did an excellent job, but make sure you check with the local officials to see what is needed...

more later... I need sleep...

Josh, Phil, and All.
Allready said my congrats, but I can't pass this one up!
to add to what JMcgrath said... if it wasnt for a neighbor with an extra fire extinguisher...
I bet that is the last time he does that!
Probably "Whopped his A**" with results :lol:
Too funny!
PROUD OF YOU ALL!
TIM

they were pretty cool... had a kick ass rig they rolled up into thier trailer-home... the trailer was designed for cycles/snow mobiles... they have a big ass winch installed and just pulled up a big ass rotisserie style smoker into the back and drive off... looks like one of those things in a supermarket doing chickens (sans the glass) pretty damn cool... it was awesome to see all the different rigs... there were a couple more Klose's... Many Langs (I'd say they had the biggest contingent)... a bandera/WSM combo... Big Green Eggs... some other custom rigs... and the guy who won it was using 3 WSMs and a Kettle... what a great time...

you know things are "interesting" when phil says (after loading his Klose up to accellerate some damn brisket cooking it was running at 390 or so) "how hot are those WSMs (we had 2)"... "350-375" :) was my reply... we working on getting all kinds of POOPIE done... phil just shook his head... we chuckled a bit and kept on cooking...

colt45 said:
you know things are "interesting" when phil says (after loading his Klose up to accellerate some damn brisket cooking it was running at 390 or so) "how hot are those WSMs (we had 2)"... "350-375" :) was my reply... we working on getting all kinds of POOPIE done... phil just shook his head... we chuckled a bit and kept on cooking...

c'mpon josh..tell the truth.. When i asked you that.. your first answer was "about 800 degrees".

Thats when my eyes rolled and u said 350....

Briskets were locked tight at 160 and 170 at 11PM.. we had to accelerate... so we wrapped them and cranked up the cookers just to get past the "stuck" spot.

I asked a friend and new smoke nut to join us.. Paul... he made the trek up. He's the dad of my daughters best friend who just picked up Backwoods Smoker. We'll be assembling it this week and he will be joining us here. Jackie was preoocupied so just help out a tiny bit... Anyone who was at B3 met paul..he was one of the dads throwing the kids in the pool.

Theres is more food in the trailer than we know what to do with... 2 coolers with food..... the BYC still had some chafing dishes in it with ribs and wings, we're missing some cheeses and fatties and some leftover lamb..... Either the cats or coons will find them out there tonight.. or I'll be facing a science project in the morning. Cant wait..

The chicken pretty much sucked.. used a rub that Dave Klose sendt up and found it extremely salty..... guess the judses like salt... that was an inedible 1st place chicken..IMO

ribs were a timing issue.. never again making them in the WSM.. the klsoe does a much better job.. a lesson learned.. put the briskets and butts in the WSMs and forget them.. do the ribs and chicken in the offset... did the rinbs at grillkings also, both times the ribs were overdone...

Brisket was a kobe... totally awesome... this was best one ever.. shouldve taken first.. but i'll settle for second.. :twisted:

got 2 hours sleep last night.. gonna crash ....more details tomoroow..
Heres osme pictures.... check out the tattoos the daughters got... they got labeled the "Charcoal Chicks". My daughter is jackie, on the right.

Notice the hat on our table between the trophies... thats gregs(parrotheads) hat. I brought it with me to keep with the tream... He was there looking over us .. right next to Fudo and the schaffer can. :twisted: "missing man Formation".

Fudo got moved the the top of the klose where he watched over us...

more tomorrwo guys...

Back