First Grind - with Pron - and some questions....

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Santa left a meat grinder under the tree.
DSC_0029.jpg

I had a CAB Chuck Roast in the freezer and decided it was time to grind up some burgers.
DSC_0030-2.jpg

Diced up the Chuck...
DSC_0033-1.jpg

After the first grind.
DSC_0035.jpg

Went to the smallest die -
DSC_0037-1.jpg

Also got a burger press....
DSC_0040-1.jpg

Weighed out the burger - each was about 6 ounces...
DSC_0039-1.jpg

And the finished product....
DSC_0043.jpg

I cooked them a little more then I typically like but thought they were pretty taste. Big Al went back for seconds.
I liked the texture and the flavor.

Now, the questions...
I started with the biggest die then went to the smallest - is that necessary or can I do straight to the small die?

If you are changing the die out in between - what's the easiest way to get the first die out to get the second one in

Is there an easier way to clean up the smallest die clean??? I took a toothpick and cleaned out each hole - that was a pain. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys - I would never have tried grinding my own meat without the inspiration I get from this site.

L-M

First off if you start out with the small grind first you'll make the machine run hot and can trip the overload......I grind my own I just gave 1.5lb of ground brisket and bacon for Christmas....and I put my dies in the dishwasher...

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That first grind,man, that's perfect for making Chili. Looks like the stuff I'd get from Kerley's Mkt. down there in Temple,Texas. Yumm-Ooo:!:
Good looking grinder too,now you're ready to play with your meat:eek:

How do ya like the grinder? Looks like it is working pretty good to me!

Santa might get a burger instead of cookies next year.I cant wait to see the tub steaks.

LMAJ,

I use the sink sprayer with the water set on hot to clean the plates before going into the dishwasher. The hot water will loosen up the fat and the holes clean out easily. Immediately after the dishwasher though you need to get some Haynes spray or something like it and spray them down and into a ziploc for storage. Vegetable spray works in a pinch, but it can go rancid during storage. Nice looking grub you have there, keep us posted especially when you get into making some sausage!

You make me want to pull out our grinder Lynn. Char loves burgers, so maybe this would take them to the next level.

After we use our grinder for sausage making, we run bread through the grinder to help remove all of the excess meat and fat from the grinder and then it is easy to wash from there. Think that was an Alton Brown trick.

I agree with above that you do need the two grinds. Are you keeping the meat chilled before each grind?

I start out on the big one and move to the small one for burgers, sometimes I just use the large one for tenderloin (Tail ends and scrap from trimming) burgers, interesting texture when grilled.

I recently got a grinder also. I ran the meat through on the large die first and then the small die. Everything I read about forming the burgers said to handle it as delicately as possible while shaping into a pattie. Also, make a small indentation in the center of the pattie so it doesn't rise up in the middle when cooking. Instead of a chuck roast I used some hanger steaks ($2.99 /lb) from Restaurant Depot. They were the BEST burgers I've ever had in my life. I also ground up some flap meat but the hangers had a much better flavor, IMHO.

The easiest way to get the first die out is to remove the retaining ring then quickly bump the grinder. It will pop out. Keep you finger on the power button and don't allow it to run, the die plate provides alignment for the feed screw and you don't want that flopping around.

NUTZ

I often use the 1/4" die for my burgers. I like them a little "chunkier". You can order brush sets from most sausage supply houses to clean up with. maybe check wally world too. I spray mine with food grade mineral oil after they are cleaned to keep any rust from forming.

If i want a finer grind, I just go straight to the 1/8" die. I've got a cabela's commercial 1/2hp and it never slows down.

Now all you need is a Brisket and one of these

View attachment 35581

and you can make this

View attachment 35580

hands down the best burger I ever had. And no condiments other than a tomato allowed. No ketchup, mayo, lettuce mustard just the burger, onion and an optional tomato and the bread was toast.

Grinding your own burgers is awesome as long as you don't spice them too much internally.

Last edited by a moderator:
After we use our grinder for sausage making, we run bread through the grinder to help remove all of the excess meat and fat from the grinder and then it is easy to wash from there.
I agree with above that you do need the two grinds. Are you keeping the meat chilled before each grind?
I ran the heel of a loaf of wheat bread through and it did a nice job of cleaning up the screw, but the small die was a killer!
I did not put the meat into the fridge or freezer between grinds because it was done so quickly - I just swapped dies and kept going.

Everything I read about forming the burgers said to handle it as delicately as possible while shaping into a pattie.
Thanks, I had heard the same thing - I was pretty careful not to smush the meat together when forming into a ball for the burger press. If you look at the cut burger, it wasn't really "packed" in as much as I thought it would have been - gave it an interesting texture.

Grinding your own burgers is awesome as long as you don't spice them too much internally.

I agree - we didn't season the meat at all this time out because we wanted to taste it naked. I did throw on some American cheese, a little mustard and ketchup. Next time there will be a little salt and pepper - and who knows what else....

You make me want to pull out our grinder Lynn. Char loves burgers, so maybe this would take them to the next level.

After we use our grinder for sausage making, we run bread through the grinder to help remove all of the excess meat and fat from the grinder and then it is easy to wash from there. Think that was an Alton Brown trick.

The bread trick really does work. Gives it a quick pre cleaning. Also, a trick I picked up is to store the grinding plates, blade, etc in a zip lock bag full of rice. The grains will work like those silica packets do and keep moisture and rust away. Before storing, I take a drop or two of EVOO in my index and thumb and rub a very thin coat on each plate.

Those burgers look fantastic. I prefer the rexture of homemade patties too. Adding some bacon to the grind makes for a nice taste in the end.

I'd hit seconds and thirds too!

I have the grinding attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and I tried 2 grinds when I first got it, but had a lot of trouble feeding the meat back through for the second grind, so I just started going straight for the size I want for whatever I am making. But my grinder only has 2 grinding plates and there really isn't much difference in the size of the holes. I use the larger plate for burger, and the smaller one for making stuffed sausage. I ground 50 pounds of deer meat with it this weekend with no trouble at all.

I just clean the plates with the sink sprayer like someone else said, then into the dishwasher. I didn't know the bread trick though, I'll have to try that.

Back