First time Brisket

Bajachief

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Cooked a brisket flat from Costco on my new Traeger. Cooked at 225-250 for 6.5 hours until internal was 190. (setting was 225 but seemed to show higher temps 240 - 250) then into cooler wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours.
No picture but the result was tender with nice smoke ring, but seemed to be very salty.
I had rubbed in Traeger Beef rub almost 24 hours before smoker. Did I put rub on too early? I did not wrap meat in foil at all during cook process.
Thanks
Chris

I had cooked my first brisket also on Sunday. A lot of the rubs we buy have a lot of salt in them, 24 hours with the rub maybe to long also.

Welcome to the Brethren!

Sorry, I can't help you - pictures would help to judge if the amount of rub used was the problem. I haven't used that rub before, so I don't know if doing so early would cause the over-saltiness.

Next time, please take some pix - because the rule 'round here is, "No pictures...didn't happen."

I'm sure others will chime in with more knowledgeable advice...

Bajachief........................;]-

Are you sure you didn't grab a Corned Flat instead of a reg. one?Rubs shouldn't have that much salt in them:confused:

^^^ yep what that guy said. So go buy another one take pictures and send to me for a taste test! lol Congrats on the smoking! Sounded great.

JA

I have smoked a " corned flat " ...Believe me I know the difference now. ( @#$%& )
I have also had issues with rubs, too much, used sea salt once , too salty, I even brined a brisket, not recommended either. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from your question. I need to know if that is too long also. It sounds like a mistake that I could make. I just put the rub on right before going to the smoker. I bought a couple of rubs that were way too salty.

Back