• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Performer discovery

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Some of you will remember that about two years ago I scored on a Weber Performer. $160 new in the box.

Well I just love my Weber but it had one annoying problem. The cover on the door for the gas control is always hard to open.

Well two years later while I am crouched down changing a propane bottle, I see these two small squares, one on each side. What the $%#^^ is that?

I struggle to see a little better, I do not bend very well any more, low and low and behold they are small locks on the door. AND, if you push them while opening the door, it opens with almost no effort! :doh:

Now who ever thought up that cute little trick should be scolded for not making it easier to find. Being an old fart, I don't see that well.

Now every time I walk past the old girl I give her a little squeeze. :wink:

Some yrs back I actually started reading the instruction book much to my wife's shock.
Stupid kids toys drove me nuts putting them together.
Now I just make the teens do it

Not sure if you have noticed this or not- if you look on the back upper panel there is a slot cut in the sheet metal, use it to hang your cooking grate by it's handle while prepping the coals. Oh, that's what that's for I said to myself...:doh:

Although I have always squeezed that little ignition cover, because my OTP is against a wall, I never saw that little slot on the back to hold the cooking grate. Good thing I have other grills where I can still use my third hand from thirdeyeq. Thanks for the tip!
e1c1dc92d0ef5d0d61bc21df63c5a0b0.jpg

Jim, you should have asked me. I got that figured out. The real question is why did they have to lock the door shut in the first place. kinda irritating to say the least.

Not sure if you have noticed this or not- if you look on the back upper panel there is a slot cut in the sheet metal, use it to hang your cooking grate by it's handle while prepping the coals. Oh, that's what that's for I said to myself...:doh:

Ah Shucks, now I am going to have to go out and look for that.

Thanks. Never realized that slot was there let alone what it was used for until I read this post. Makes me wonder what other features might be on it that I haven't discovered yet. :doh:

IMAG1147_zpsd07c9738.jpg

I want a performer so bad I can taste it! Just can't afford a new one right now. I'm waiting for my craigslist score.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Never realized that slot was there let alone what it was used for until I read this post.

I found out about the "slot" after I added a small hook to hang the grate on, right next to the slot. :doh:

I like the hook better, because I don't have to turn the grate around to get the handle in the slot.

just a quick story on that. i was the mercedes dealership trouble shooter.
so i get this newish car that is not running correctly in the morning. now this is back in like '74 or so. carbs are still in use. so any way i go and read the manual. then i read again. go out and adjust. no good. repeat many more times. still no go. so finally out of fustration i get a coke sit down and read it word for word while picturing what i need to do and what i had done. then i come to a small thing that said"and continue to hold". !!!!!!!! that was it, i had not been continuing to hold a small lever in a certain position. went out and did it correctly and that fixed it. this really bothered me so i made a vow to myself that i still follow today. i follow directions. i read them. i read maps and such. nothing like a foolish lost man.

I also don't like the grate holder in back, going to figure something out for the front or side..... Anyone find the bottle opener yet? ..... Thinking the next addition should be one of those swiveling boat can/bottle holders.

Back