Can't get thin blue

Well, finally got the thing blowing blue (invisible would be more accurate.) Only took 3 hours but it's finally settled in and running at 287*. I just want thank everyone who chimed in. I just hope I don't run into this problem again. Guess I have to start her up 3 hours before I put the meat on and plan accordingly. Thanks again.

I agree with not using the coffee can and dumping the hot coals on a full basket of unlit. I can't say that's what is causing the extra smoke, but have experience doing minion method with uds, and other cookers. Dropping coals on top of a full pile will get you a better overall burn.

Never had that trouble w/ the 18.5 WSM. Yours must be broken. I'll gladly swap, no charge.

Meet me ~Newburgh, NY. :biggrin1:

Have you tried different fuel? 3 hours is way too long.

Never had that trouble w/ the 18.5 WSM. Yours must be broken. I'll gladly swap, no charge.

Meet me ~Newburgh, NY. :biggrin1:

Have you tried different fuel? 3 hours is way too long.

I'll pass on the swap. :-D I've have always used RO lump. I think next time I'll try ditching the coffee can. I did that once before and couldn't get the temps past 225*. That was with all the vents wide open. :confused:

You're using RO lump, same as me. Lately I have been getting several chunks per bag that have not been totally carbonized and throw out white smoke. If you can find the offending piece then pull and toss or just wait it out.

You're using RO lump, same as me. Lately I have been getting several chunks per bag that have not been totally carbonized and throw out white smoke. If you can find the offending piece then pull and toss or just wait it out.

You know what? You may be on to something. I've had a couple of pieces that were basically just chunks of semi-burned logs. I figured I'd throw them in there and they would give me a little extra smoke flavor. They could have been the culprit all along.

You know what? You may be on to something. I've had a couple of pieces that were basically just chunks of semi-burned logs. I figured I'd throw them in there and they would give me a little extra smoke flavor. They could have been the culprit all along.

Interesting. I have not thought of this since I always use KB (it's cheap and consistent).

I generally get TBS within an hour of lighting my chimney, which sits for about 15 min or so before I pour the coals onto the basket. Like I said, generally. There have been times when it has taken much longer to get there, and it seems to happen when I am in a time crunch. I don't see anything wrong with lighting the smoker up to 2 hours before I am ready to put my meat on. I've done it a few times now just so I don't feel like I am rushing to get things done, and the extra hour or so of burn time doesn't waste much coal.

All lump needs to be inspected during the re-fueling process...You will be surprised by the amount of garbage and wood that is not totally carbonized...Don't just dump the lump...

I really don't understand your problem. if you are doing some type of minion method and you are using dry " smoke wood" and lump or for that matter even kingsford the small amount of smoke should not matter. You do need to have a full chimney of white hot coals when they are dumped on top of the unlit and smoke wood. Yes there will be a little smoke but if your top vent is wide open as are your bottom vents it will be alright. Are you sure your charcoal and wood is dry and cured?

I've only noticed one other person mention this so I'll bring it up again. My first suspect would be your wood chunks aren't fully seasoned.

Try starting with lump only and see how long it takes to get a clean fire.

really, a full chimney of white hot coals to start a minion? I've never used more than a 1/3 of a chimney to start a minion and that is if I was going for a hh cook on 18.5 wsm.

Back